Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iChat! What?

#1 User is offline   ShouldiUseMac 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 01:30 AM

I know the difference between iChat & FaceTime. BUT, What is the difference between iChat, iMessage & Messages ;-)

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostShouldiUseMac, on 30 March 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

I know the difference between iChat & FaceTime. BUT, What is the difference between iChat, iMessage & Messages ;-)

Basically, Messages is iChat with iMessage added in and FaceTime kind of added in.

In essence, Messages is the new version of iChat. Apple added in the ability to use the iMessage system by way for Messages, but you should still also be able to nominally do everything iChat was able to do (i.e. all your iChat accounts should be transfered to Messages when you upgrade). Messages also have the ability to deal with FaceTime calls, but it still "dumps" you into the dedicated FaceTime application when you are using FaceTime. You can still do iChat-style video chats by way of Messages.

If you are not familiar with iMessage, it is basically Apple's proprietary messaging/text system. With iMessage, you can "text" any one who has a Mac or reasonably current iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, or iPod Touch).

#3 User is offline   ShouldiUseMac 

• PipPip

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Postsmax013, on 30 March 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

View PostShouldiUseMac, on 30 March 2013 - 01:30 AM, said:

Basically, Messages is iChat with iMessage added in and FaceTime kind of added in.

In essence, Messages is the new version of iChat. Apple added in the ability to use the iMessage system by way for Messages, but you should still also be able to nominally do everything iChat was able to do (i.e. all your iChat accounts should be transfered to Messages when you upgrade). Messages also have the ability to deal with FaceTime calls, but it still "dumps" you into the dedicated FaceTime application when you are using FaceTime. You can still do iChat-style video chats by way of Messages.

If you are not familiar with iMessage, it is basically Apple's proprietary messaging/text system. With iMessage, you can "text" any one who has a Mac or reasonably current iOS device (iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini, or iPod Touch).

Thanks, dude ;-)

I think I understand! More or less, LoL! I think this can be considered as S. O. L. V. E. D.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users