• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple TV or Roku 3? ...

#1 User is offline   cmeisenzahl 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Not sure what one to get.

We have a Windows 7 box and a Mac Mini. 4 iPhones in the house, and an Airport Express router. So we're definitely in the Apple world. We buy songs on iTunes, but never movies or TV shows. We use Netflix streaming pretty much daily.

I've read several reviews of both devices and keep going back and forth.

I could see us occasionally renting a movie from iTunes I guess. But I wouldn't want it backed up with my regular iTunes data, do rented iTunes movies just stream?

Any advice on a compelling reason to get one over the other?

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

View Postcmeisenzahl, on 30 March 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

Not sure what one to get.

We have a Windows 7 box and a Mac Mini. 4 iPhones in the house, and an Airport Express router. So we're definitely in the Apple world. We buy songs on iTunes, but never movies or TV shows. We use Netflix streaming pretty much daily.

I've read several reviews of both devices and keep going back and forth.

I could see us occasionally renting a movie from iTunes I guess. But I wouldn't want it backed up with my regular iTunes data, do rented iTunes movies just stream?

Any advice on a compelling reason to get one over the other?

Thanks very much in advance,
Chris

With the current incarnation of the AppleTV (i.e. the little black box version as opposed to the older Mac Mini sized silver version), ALL content (whether music, movies, TV shows, pictures, etc) are streamed. This includes rented movies or TV shows (yes, you can in theory rent TV shows...I believe it still exists...but the selection is VERY, VERY small). For rented movies, you stream them from Apples servers. For bought movies or TV shows, you can either stream them from your own computer or if they are still available by way of iTunes in the Cloud, then you can stream them from Apple's servers. Music has to be streamed from your computer unless you pay for iTunes Match.

As to which to choose, it really depends on where you want to get your content from. If you use iTunes to get movies and/or TV shows, then you are forced to the Apple TV. OTOH, at this point, if you have an Amazon Prime membership or buy/rent movies or TV shows through Amazon, then you will want the Roku as it has an Amazon channel. And in general, the Roku has way more "channels"/options for streaming content than the Apple TV does. The reality is the Apple TV is limited to iTunes, Netflix, and Hulu Plus for movies & TV shows.

#3 User is offline   cmeisenzahl 

• PipPip

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

That helps, thanks very much!

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 March 2013 - 12:48 PM

I will also note that if worst comes to worst, you could end up getting both. While $100 is not something to completely sneeze at, it is also not a huge amount of money.

In the end, unless you really want the ability to play iTunes Store movie & TV shows as well as use Air Play from your iPhones, then the Roku might be the better option as it does offer more streaming content options.

#5 User is offline   pwfletcher 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

I say get the Apple TV 2 if you can find one - then load XBMC on it :-)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users