• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:00 AM

Post your comments for Preparing audiobooks for the road here

#2 User is offline   dennishenley 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:43 AM

I agree with the join all tracks step when recording audiobooks from CD. I also make sure that in the options menu I choose audiobook from the kind popup menu and select remember position. But I'm not sure I'd take the next step to make a gigantic one-file book since I can accomplish the same thing with a playlist that keeps the CDs in the correct order and plays as if it were one gigantic file. It's a lot less time consuming to rip your CD audiobooks this way.

#3 User is offline   Inkling 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

I'd suggest checking out the Classic Tales podcast. The podcast is free and its creator, B. J. Harrison also sells separately audio versions of the great fiction of the past at a fraction of Audible's prices.

I just checked Harrison's website. If you daughter has never listened to Wilkie Collin's marvelous The Moonstone, she's in for a real treat and the entire 21-hour tale is only $4.99.

Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the novel: "The Moonstone (1868) by Wilkie Collins is a 19th-century British epistolary novel, generally considered the first detective novel in the English language. The story was originally serialized in Charles Dickens' magazine All the Year Round. The Moonstone and The Woman in White are considered Wilkie Collins' best novels."

#4 User is offline   Suenaga 

• PipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 03:03 PM

Any advice on doing the same with audio cassettes? I have dozens of books on tape I'd like to move over to my old Macbook.

#5 User is offline   robt010101 

• Pip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

Any advice on doing the same with audio cassettes? I have dozens of books on tape I'd like to move over to my old Macbook.

I would use WireTap Studio by Ambrosia Software http://www.ambrosias...ilities/wiretap I can record anything that I can get into my mac.

#6 User is offline   access 

• Pip

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

I agree with Dennis. I travel a lot and listen to audiobooks nearly constantly, doing all the ripping and sorting on iTunes. I've never bothered with import settings, just imported each disc into iTunes then, I highlight all tracks together and go to File-Get info. Under Options, choose Audiobook in Media Kind and check: "Remember Playback Position" and "Skip When Shuffling". Done. Maybe. Each disc will be in the Books category of iTunes now, but the discs may not be in the correct order. I learned this the first time I ever did it, having moved the book onto my iPod and finding the disc order messed up. For some reason, the folks creating the discs don't always use the same info when naming the discs in the first place. One disc might say Harlan Coben Live Wire disc 1, but the next might say Coben, H Live Wire 2 / 8. If you have this happen, you'll need to re-label the name and number uniformly. Under Get info I use the Info tab.

#7 User is offline   Aeneas 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:47 AM

Another vote against joining tracks: I also listen to a lot of audiobooks. When your iPod or iPhone accidentally 'forgets' your listen spot, finding it is very difficult if you have a single 18 hour track (which is how long a book can be). Far better to have many smaller tracks and in any case, there's no gap (as pointed out above).

In fact I wish I knew how to divide a single file!

#8 User is offline   dseher 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:57 AM

Very helpful article. However, when I listen to music and select Shuffle, I also get the tracks of the audiobook! How do I prevent this?

#9 User is offline   tuckerha 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

Robt010101 Regarding your cassette tapes, why not connect a 1/4 jack audio cable into tape player headphone jackr and other 1/4 jack into your Audio in on the mac and use Garageband to record the audio or book. No need to purchase other software that you probably already have.

#10 User is offline   jonagold 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

I've been using Audiobook Builder by Splasm (mentioned in the article's final paragraph) for years to create audiobooks from CDs and other audio input. I love it and recommend it highly.

#11 User is offline   rogandsue 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

I also have been using Audiobook Builder for years to put together books. AB's power lies in the ability to structure a bunch of tracks/files into a cohesive book structure with parts, chapters and the like so the experience is like reading a bound book. Once you get the hang of the process, joining files into chapters and naming them or even just paginating the files into logical orders is a breeze. According to my wife, it makes all the difference in the world. Audiobook Builder is easily worth many times its meager cost.

#12 User is offline   misplaced 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:11 AM

I'd suggest checking out the Classic Tales podcast. The podcast is free and its creator, B. J. Harrison also sells separately audio versions of the great fiction of the past at a fraction of Audible's prices. I just checked Harrison's website. If you daughter has never listened to Wilkie Collin's marvelous The Moonstone, she's in for a real treat and the entire 21-hour tale is only $4.99. Here's what Wikipedia has to say about the novel: "The Moonstone (1868) by Wilkie Collins is a 19th-century British epistolary novel, generally considered the first detective novel in the English language. The story was originally serialized in Charles Dickens' magazine All the Year Round. The Moonstone and The Woman in White are considered Wilkie Collins' best novels."

Your so right about Wilkie Collins book 'The Moonstone' but you can download it for free from librivox.org
A lot of these old books are in the public domain and they are free to download. Librivox has many volunteers who record these books for you to download at no cost but it is always nice to contribute something if you appreciate their work. Some of the readers are a joy to listen to and others can be a bit of a strain on ones nerves. I have no attachment to librivox.org other than the fact that I love listening to their books.

#13 User is offline   davidkstyler 

• Pip

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:53 AM

Another vote against joining tracks: I also listen to a lot of audiobooks. When your iPod or iPhone accidentally 'forgets' your listen spot, finding it is very difficult if you have a single 18 hour track (which is how long a book can be). Far better to have many smaller tracks and in any case, there's no gap (as pointed out above). In fact I wish I knew how to divide a single file!

Amadeus allows you to divide files. I have used it to divide LPs that recorded into one file. http://www.hairersoft.com/pro.html

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users