Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Catalog music collection Music database

#1 User is offline   perkman 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:23 AM

I am interested in MAC software that would organize my extensive music collection (CD's, audio cassettes, vinyl) in a database that I can manage on my I Mac 27 OS 10.8.3 and possibly synchronize with I Pad and I Phone. In browsing the Internet I have come up with two possibilities,1) CollectorZ.com, 2) Readerware.com music database. Does any forum member have experience with these software or any other software you could recommend.
Thank you for your time, Allan

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

View Postperkman, on 01 April 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

I am interested in MAC software that would organize my extensive music collection (CD's, audio cassettes, vinyl) in a database that I can manage on my I Mac 27 OS 10.8.3 and possibly synchronize with I Pad and I Phone. In browsing the Internet I have come up with two possibilities,1) CollectorZ.com, 2) Readerware.com music database. Does any forum member have experience with these software or any other software you could recommend.

I know two that are probably worth trying. I should say that I don't have a lot of experience with this specific task, but do organize other kinds of physical media.

Delicious Library has been very popular and it's fairly well supported as I understand it. I'm not a fan of it myself, but that's a matter of taste.
An alternative is CDpedia from Bruji. I've played with it a bit. I use its siblings Bookpedia, DVDpedia and Gamepedia fairly heavily.

#3 User is offline   perkman 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

View Postbastion, on 01 April 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

View Postperkman, on 01 April 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

I know two that are probably worth trying. I should say that I don't have a lot of experience with this specific task, but do organize other kinds of physical media.

Delicious Library has been very popular and it's fairly well supported as I understand it. I'm not a fan of it myself, but that's a matter of taste.
An alternative is CDpedia from Bruji. I've played with it a bit. I use its siblings Bookpedia, DVDpedia and Gamepedia fairly heavily.

#4 User is offline   perkman 

• Pip

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:30 AM

Thanks Mr. Bastion for your recommendations.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

Personally, I use Delicious Library. It works for what I need. It will use the barcode to TRY to get information on the item (book, DVD, CD, etc) using online databases (such as Amazon's). You can also manually enter in information. I don't know if it will be able to get information on vinyl or cassette tapes...I would have to check, but it is not installed on this computer...only the one at home. They used to have an app to sync your database with, but Apple forced them to remove it after Amazon apparently (at based upon something I read back then) complained that it somehow violated the App Store developer "rules". Since I originally got that app on my iPod Touch (back then), I actually still have it. You can supposedly export the database to a web page that you can in theory put on your iPhone...but I have never tried that.

I believe that I bought the Windows version of Readerware a while ago back when I was looking for a similar thing. I played with it some, but ended up with Delicious Library. From my brief use of Readerware, it seemed fine. Don't know what syncing options it has.

The other option is to use something like Bento or FileMaker Pro and just make your own database. The advantage is that it gives you a LOT more flexibility to do what you want. The downside is that it will NOT "find" info for CDs, etc by way of a barcode. I believe there are some templates that have such things setup for Bento (and I assume FileMaker Pro). The other big advantage is that you can get the iPhone and/or iPad version an FULLY sync such a database.

#6 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:20 AM

View Postsmax013, on 02 April 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

They used to have an app to sync your database with, but Apple forced them to remove it after Amazon apparently (at based upon something I read back then) complained that it somehow violated the App Store developer "rules".

Amazon's complaint wasn't that DL (and the 'pedias and other similar apps) were breaking the app store rules, but violating the terms of the affiliate agreement that allowed the app developers to retrieve data via Amazon's APIs. Essentially, the affiliate agreement at the time specified that Amazon's data could not be displayed through 3rd-party interfaces on mobile devices. So web browsers would be fine since they're just showing Amazon's pages, but 3rd-party apps that provide their own look and feel were in violation. Since the apps in question displayed data that could *potentially* at one point have come from Amazon, they insisted that the developers (not Apple) pull the apps under threat of revoking their affiliate status. (Thus providing me with a second reason to never give Amazon any business, in case I ever started to waver on the original and more direct negative experience I had with them.)

#7 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

View Postbastion, on 03 April 2013 - 02:20 AM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 02 April 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

They used to have an app to sync your database with, but Apple forced them to remove it after Amazon apparently (at based upon something I read back then) complained that it somehow violated the App Store developer "rules".

Amazon's complaint wasn't that DL (and the 'pedias and other similar apps) were breaking the app store rules, but violating the terms of the affiliate agreement that allowed the app developers to retrieve data via Amazon's APIs. Essentially, the affiliate agreement at the time specified that Amazon's data could not be displayed through 3rd-party interfaces on mobile devices. So web browsers would be fine since they're just showing Amazon's pages, but 3rd-party apps that provide their own look and feel were in violation. Since the apps in question displayed data that could *potentially* at one point have come from Amazon, they insisted that the developers (not Apple) pull the apps under threat of revoking their affiliate status. (Thus providing me with a second reason to never give Amazon any business, in case I ever started to waver on the original and more direct negative experience I had with them.)

That is basically what I recalled...just could not remember if Amazon asked Apple to remove it or if they asked the DL folks to remove it.

Regardless, I thought it was a dumb thing to do for Amazon. Delicious Library has a "feature" in the Mac program that recommends similar books, etc based upon Amazon's listings (I would assume) and then points to Amazon's page. While the version of the iOS that they had at the time (and that I still have) does not have a similar "feature", presumably it might have in future versions if Amazon had not forced its removal. Regardless, that app did (does in my case) offer you the ability to "view" a book, etc that is in your library on Amazon's site. Thus, I think they lost a potential source of future sales.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users