Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Using Mail's rules, smart mailboxes, and VIPs - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using Mail's rules, smart mailboxes, and VIPs

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

Post your comments for Using Mail's rules, smart mailboxes, and VIPs here

#2 User is offline   mkurland 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:06 AM

The ironic thing is that Apple provides a richer system for composing queries to build playlists in iTunes than it does for filtering email in Mail. Which not to put not too fine a point on it, is just stupid.

#3 User is offline   cat4ever 

• PipPip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

Ironic you would have this now when rules I've had setup for years for moving e-mail to different folders have suddenly stopped working for the last month.

#4 User is offline   jazzace 

• PipPip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

I use rules in Mail in much the same way as Chris suggests. My "Inbox" is a smart mailbox that gathers my unread messages from all my mailboxes. The vast majority of my e-mail gets filed upon receipt but keeps its unread status (unless it is spam).

What rules don't do as well is deal with outgoing mail, which I also want to file. My workaround is to create multiple signatures, each of which has a unique text tag that a rule then uses to file the message when I process the Sent folder periodically.

The absence of rules in iOS Mail is its greatest shortcoming. I find it hard to use compared to the desktop version for that reason. It's my number one feature request.

#5 User is offline   bigfootmn 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

Since iOS does not have rules (which I have used extensively on Mac OS X), I let Gmail do my filtering for me. Gmail has the option of creating labels which, when viewed in iOS, work very similar to smart mailboxes. The problem with using the rules to move mail in OS X is that, if you are using IMAP, you probably don't want to create the new mailboxes "On My Mac", because that would move the mail from a server mailbox to a local mailbox. If you want to move mail around, create the new mailbox on the server side (can still be done on the Mac) and then it will move the mail on the server and on your Mac (or is it on your Mac and on the server). Anyway, that keeps all mail synchronized on any device you use to read your mail.

#6 User is offline   sjk 

• PipPip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:30 PM

The ironic thing is that Apple provides a richer system for composing queries to build playlists in iTunes than it does for filtering email in Mail.

Really. Mail's lack of nested conditions for rules and smart mailboxes frustratingly limits what's possible.

#7 User is offline   owlygator 

• Pip

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

Right on sjk! I've been waiting for that for years!

#8 User is offline   Kenoodle 

• PipPip

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:03 AM

This was a very helpful article. I would like to see Apple open the application to developers who could create add-ons similar to those available to Thunderbird users.

#9 User is offline   gilbert1111 

• Pip

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

I use rules in Mail in much the same way as Chris suggests. My "Inbox" is a smart mailbox that gathers my unread messages from all my mailboxes. The vast majority of my e-mail gets filed upon receipt but keeps its unread status (unless it is spam). What rules don't do as well is deal with outgoing mail, which I also want to file. My workaround is to create multiple signatures, each of which has a unique text tag that a rule then uses to file the message when I process the Sent folder periodically. The absence of rules in iOS Mail is its greatest shortcoming. I find it hard to use compared to the desktop version for that reason. It's my number one feature request.

I operate in the same way. But why isn't there a way t automatically file those outgoing emails? The way it is I have to go into each SENT folder, highlight all, and then select APPLY RULES. This works, but is there a way this can happen automatically?

Cheers,

Michael

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users