Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Any suggestions for simple accounting software? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any suggestions for simple accounting software?

#1 User is offline   JHolmesJr 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hi

I'm looking for a simple way to record and automatically tally up the many business expense receipts I collect each month. These fall under the categories of transport, entertainment, reference materials and office expenses.

Right now I have to pay an accountant to physically record each receipt at the end of the year. By waiting an entire year for this, I accumulate a couple of thousand receipts and the cost is killing me. I would rather instal a simple software that lets me enter the receipts myself (every month) and totals them up for me to give the accountant at year end. (I don't want to use a calculator).

The idea is to start slowly and get used to this and eventually learn enough to do my own books of account as my business is a very simple one with not too many needs.

I don't think I want a complex software that does a lot more. Unless you feel I otherwise. Any suggestions welcome.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostJHolmesJr, on 10 April 2013 - 06:49 AM, said:

Hi

I'm looking for a simple way to record and automatically tally up the many business expense receipts I collect each month. These fall under the categories of transport, entertainment, reference materials and office expenses.

Right now I have to pay an accountant to physically record each receipt at the end of the year. By waiting an entire year for this, I accumulate a couple of thousand receipts and the cost is killing me. I would rather instal a simple software that lets me enter the receipts myself (every month) and totals them up for me to give the accountant at year end. (I don't want to use a calculator).

The idea is to start slowly and get used to this and eventually learn enough to do my own books of account as my business is a very simple one with not too many needs.

I don't think I want a complex software that does a lot more. Unless you feel I otherwise. Any suggestions welcome.

The only software that I have direct experience with is Billings (available in the App Store). I use it for doing invoices. Never really used it for tracking expenses (don't really have many), so I don't know how easy it would be to use it for that. There is a companion iPhone app that might allow you to enter your expenses as they happen.

You could also just do some searches of the App Store.

The other options are a spreadsheet or a database. You could do Bento and you likely could find a "template" that does expenses. And if you have an iPhone/iPad, you could get the Bento version for either/both of those and it might make it easier to enter in expenses that get synced back to the Mac as you actually incur the expense.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users