Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Despite layoffs, Ambrosia says it's still in business - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Despite layoffs, Ambrosia says it's still in business

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

Post your comments for Despite layoffs, Ambrosia says it's still in business here

#2 User is offline   JMHammer 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

Ambrosia, you need to get Escape Velocity: Nova into the Mac App Store. EV:N works great on my new Mac Mini running 10.8.3. Since it's infinitely expandable with user-created mods, your 10-year-old game would probably compete well with the newest games in the Store. Just be sure to provide step-by-step SIMPLE instructions for locating, downloading, installing, and using mods so that new buyers can jump right into that after playing the basic game through a few times.

#3 User is offline   PJL500 

• PipPip

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Over the years I've found Snapz Pro to be very usefu...l but... wow... has it been neglected! It still is not presentable as a MacOS app - it's like a wart on the screen!

#4 User is offline   supermas 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:25 AM

Spent many hours building my own plugins for Escape Velocity, and then many more hours playing the game. Their utilities have saved my butt over that past few years as well. Soundboard is excellent, SnapzPro is old but reliable and WireTap has come in handy in pinches. I hope they continue on. Software development is a tough landscape right now.

#5 User is offline   ericole 

• PipPip

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Thanks to th 0.99 app, this will probably become much more common. sad.
Eric

To an atheist, G. K. Chesterton somewhere remarked, the universe is the most exquisite mechanism ever constructed by nobody.

http://www.answersin...ntering-critics

#6 User is offline   k88dad 

• PipPip

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I still play many of the ancient Ambrosia games. WireTap is a fine utility, and I would buy SnapzPro in a heartbeat if I had the need to screen capture.

A $10 EV:N would sell like hotcakes on the app store. I'm not sure how mod-friendly the app store is, but I assume that is not an issue for the Mac App Store.

Does anyone know of a way to play Maelstrom without emulating an older version of Mac OS? I'm pretty sure that I had a working version up until about Leopard.

#7 User is offline   whitedog 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I remember when Snapz Pro was OEM software on every new Mac, with an upgrade available for full functionality - which I paid for long ago. Unfortunately - for Ambrosia - in recent years the competition for screen capture utilities has heated up and Ambrosia has failed to answer with significant improvements/enhancements to Snapz Pro. As a result, it's market share has dwindled. Where once it was the only game in town, now Mac users have many alternatives to choose from. Ambrosia would hardly be the first company to rest too long on its laurels - and to suffer the consequences. On the one hand, laying off their development team seems ominous; on the other, their productivity, to judge by Ambrosia's apparent lack of initiative and creativity, seems hardly to justify their continued employment. Ultimately, though, blame for their declining fortunes lies squarely with the company's leadership, which seems to have lost interest in the business.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users