Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SSD in my MacBook Pro

#1 User is offline   JohnWB 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

I just bought a Samsung 840 PRO Series 128GB SSD to replace the HDD in my MacBook Pro Early 2011 13" running Mountain Lion. I installed it and it functions great and speeds up my Mac considerably. Having paid $150 for 128GB of storage makes me want to do what I can to ensure that my SSD will have a long lifespan. Are there any tweaks that I should perform? Such as "turning off sudden motion sensor" or "enabling TRIM"?

I am especially concerned about the TRIM feature. I read numerous forums online and it seems no one agrees on whether to enable TRIM or not. Some say enabling TRIM on a Mac with third party SSD's will be disastrous, since OS X cannot support TRIM on anything other than a hard drive with Apple firmware. Others say that performing a tweak that allows Mac to enable TRIM on a third party SSD is recommended. (Note: The Samsung 840 Pro DOES incorporate garbage collection algorithms.)

I plan to install Windows 7 using Boot Camp on my SSD so that I can run Windows on my Mac. I understand that Windows 7 automatically enables the TRIM feature for an SSD. If that is the case, do I still need to perform the TRIM tweak in Mountain Lion?

I would be more than happy for some up-to-date information regarding using third party SSD's in a MacBook. Thank you!

This post has been edited by JohnWB: 11 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users