Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: HELP HELP HELP ME. STUCK ON WHITE STARTUP SCREEN! - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HELP HELP HELP ME. STUCK ON WHITE STARTUP SCREEN!

#1 User is offline   PranaVanarp 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

I have a Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion. Yesterday night, my mac had frozen, so I shut it down and tried to reboot. But it got stuck at the white/grey screen! I entered recovery mode and verified and repaired but that failed. It said that I had a problem with the journel. I then tried booting in safe verbose mode but that got stuck at a command line saying disk0s2 i/o error, so i couldn't complete safe boot and I couldn't type in the 'fsck -fy' command. I couldn't reset the PRAM and the NVRAM, because it got stuck at the white screen and the spinning wheel again. Can anyone please help me boot my computer, and find a solution?????

Thanks in advance,
Pranav

This post has been edited by PranaVanarp: 11 April 2013 - 08:42 PM

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostPranaVanarp, on 11 April 2013 - 08:40 PM, said:

I have a Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion. Yesterday night, my mac had frozen, so I shut it down and tried to reboot. But it got stuck at the white/grey screen! I entered recovery mode and verified and repaired but that failed. It said that I had a problem with the journel. I then tried booting in safe verbose mode but that got stuck at a command line saying disk0s2 i/o error, so i couldn't complete safe boot and I couldn't type in the 'fsck -fy' command. I couldn't reset the PRAM and the NVRAM, because it got stuck at the white screen and the spinning wheel again. Can anyone please help me boot my computer, and find a solution?????

Thanks in advance,
Pranav

What kind of MacBook Pro? Retina? Or "original flavor"?

When you tried recovery mode, did it fully boot up and allow you to use Disk Utility (I assume this is what you mean by "verified"...i.e. tried to verify the disk in Disk Utility)? If so, does your drive show up in Disk Utility? If so, then it could be a physical failure of the drive, but that still allows it to mount. There is also a chance it could be some major OS problem.

Have you tried the Apple Hardware Test? http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

I would say that at this point, the possible options are:

1) trying a third party utility like DiskWarrior or Tech Tools Pro or maybe Drive Genius.
2) Try re-installing the Mac OS. If you don't have a backup, then you would want to try to do an "upgrade"/"archive and install" install of the OS. It should do this automatically as long as it detects that there is an already installed version of the Mac OS on the computer. But if things are screwed up enough, then it might not...in which case you may not want to go this option if you do NOT have a backup of your files.
3) Try booting from another disk...either an external drive with the Mac OS on it or a new internal drive. This could tell you if there is something wrong with something other than the internal drive.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users