Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Mac Mini (Latest Model) running Win8 using Parallel - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mac Mini (Latest Model) running Win8 using Parallel

#1 User is offline   phoenix55b 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

I am eagerly awaiting my first Mac ever. I haven't used an Apple computer since the Apple 2 in High School.
I went with the Mac Mini 2.6Ghz i7 and the Fusion Drive. I have ordered the 16G upgrade directly from Crucial to save over $150.
I have also ordered Parallel 8 and Windows 8 to enable use of some programs that only work with Windows.
Is Parallel the best way to go or should I use Boot Camp? I have no idea as I'm a total Mac noob.
Any help would be appreciated.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

View Postphoenix55b, on 23 April 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

I am eagerly awaiting my first Mac ever. I haven't used an Apple computer since the Apple 2 in High School.
I went with the Mac Mini 2.6Ghz i7 and the Fusion Drive. I have ordered the 16G upgrade directly from Crucial to save over $150.
I have also ordered Parallel 8 and Windows 8 to enable use of some programs that only work with Windows.
Is Parallel the best way to go or should I use Boot Camp? I have no idea as I'm a total Mac noob.

Unless you need EVERY possible ounce of performance out of Windows, then Parallels is likely a better choice as it will allow you to use your Windows programs at the same time your using your Mac programs. With Bootcamp, you would have to reboot into Windows to use Windows programs and then reboot into the Mac OS to use Mac programs.

Of course, the other option is to use both...Parallels can make use of your Bootcamp partition. This would allow you to use Parallels most of the time and thus use both Windows and Mac programs at the same time...but then on the occasions where you want every ounce of performance, you could boot into Windows by way of Bootcamp.

#3 User is offline   phoenix55b 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Postsmax013, on 24 April 2013 - 01:37 PM, said:

View Postphoenix55b, on 23 April 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

Unless you need EVERY possible ounce of performance out of Windows, then Parallels is likely a better choice as it will allow you to use your Windows programs at the same time your using your Mac programs. With Bootcamp, you would have to reboot into Windows to use Windows programs and then reboot into the Mac OS to use Mac programs.

Of course, the other option is to use both...Parallels can make use of your Bootcamp partition. This would allow you to use Parallels most of the time and thus use both Windows and Mac programs at the same time...but then on the occasions where you want every ounce of performance, you could boot into Windows by way of Bootcamp.

Thank you.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users