• You cannot reply to this topic

WiFi Internet settings 10.6.8

#1 User is offline   PeterG 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hi,
I thought I had my computer iMac setup for security.

OS 10.6.8, Linksys router,

I don't have "Airport" on, I don't have "Bluetooth" on.

I have a WPApersonal setting, which DID need a password to logon, but now the other computer (its a Windows) doesn't need my computer being set to ON.

What haven't I done correctly (settings)? How do I cut his/anyones WiFi connection to my system off?

Has his computer automatically configured itself so it can use my WiFi settings even tho its off on MY computer?

Sorry for sounding so damn stupid, but I never use my WiFi. I always leave it off.

Thank you.

This post has been edited by PeterG: 26 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

#2 User is offline   PeterG 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:01 PM

Too late to edit.

The router just works, Its a WRT54G

And as I mentioned above, I never use it and just keep it off.

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostPeterG, on 26 April 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Hi,

I have a WPApersonal setting, which DID need a password to logon, but now the other computer (its a Windows) doesn't need my computer being set to ON.

What haven't I done correctly (settings)? How do I cut his/anyones WiFi connection to my system off?

Has his computer automatically configured itself so it can use my WiFi settings even tho its off on MY computer?

Sorry for sounding so damn stupid, but I never use my WiFi. I always leave it off.

Thank you.

Is your computer connected to the router by ethernet?

Is the WiFi still turned on within the router settings?

Are you talking about the other computer's ability to access your files?

I cannot really follow what your problem is.

If you have AirPort turned off on the iMac, then there can be no DIRECT connection (i.e. directly from another computer to yours) by WiFi. But, if your computer is still connected to the network by way of an ethernet cable AND the other person connects to the network/router by WiFi, they could still connect to your computer by way of the network. If that is what you are talking about, then you will want to turn on the Firewall (which likely is turned on...I believe that the Mac OS has it turned on by default) and make sure that file sharing and other "sharing" options are turned off under System Prefs > Sharing.

#4 User is offline   PeterG 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

View Postsmax013, on 27 April 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

View PostPeterG, on 26 April 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

Hi,

Thank you.

Is your computer connected to the router by ethernet?

Is the WiFi still turned on within the router settings?

Are you talking about the other computer's ability to access your files?

I cannot really follow what your problem is.

If you have AirPort turned off on the iMac, then there can be no DIRECT connection (i.e. directly from another computer to yours) by WiFi. But, if your computer is still connected to the network by way of an ethernet cable AND the other person connects to the network/router by WiFi, they could still connect to your computer by way of the network. If that is what you are talking about, then you will want to turn on the Firewall (which likely is turned on...I believe that the Mac OS has it turned on by default) and make sure that file sharing and other "sharing" options are turned off under System Prefs > Sharing.

Thanks,
Yep, I'm still connected to the router using ethernet.
I can have it (wifi), Off but as you mentioned they can still connect with wifi. Even when they disconnect, then re-connect it does, but this time with out having to use a password. That was more of my concern.
They do need a password to use it tho, but unless I go to disable, they can still use it.
Once they're gone I'll make the necessary changes. But at this point, they are visitors and are using the wifi.

I checked the Firewall, and it is NOT connected. Same with Airport, Off.

So I had better do some more work, thank you.

#5 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostPeterG, on 28 April 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

I can have it (wifi), Off but as you mentioned they can still connect with wifi. Even when they disconnect, then re-connect it does, but this time with out having to use a password. That was more of my concern.

They are connecting to your router by WiFi not your computer.

And most devices will remember a WiFi password (whether WPA, WEP, etc). That is something controlled on the specific device. You cannot set your router to prevent a device from remembering the password. You would have to go to their computer to turn off that setting...in other words, it is outside your control.

What is in your control is whether or not you turn on WiFi on the router and if you do turn it on, whether you give people the password (assuming you setup a password).

I will note that if you have file sharing (and other "remote access" type functions) turned off on your computer, then most people will not be able to access your computer even if they are connected to your network by WiFi. This is even more so if you also have the firewall in the Mac OS turned on (but most people would not know how to "breach" your computer even if the firewall was turned off).

#6 User is offline   PeterG 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

View Postsmax013, on 28 April 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

View PostPeterG, on 28 April 2013 - 02:28 PM, said:

They are connecting to your router by WiFi not your computer.

And most devices will remember a WiFi password (whether WPA, WEP, etc). That is something controlled on the specific device. You cannot set your router to prevent a device from remembering the password. You would have to go to their computer to turn off that setting...in other words, it is outside your control.

What is in your control is whether or not you turn on WiFi on the router and if you do turn it on, whether you give people the password (assuming you setup a password).

I will note that if you have file sharing (and other "remote access" type functions) turned off on your computer, then most people will not be able to access your computer even if they are connected to your network by WiFi. This is even more so if you also have the firewall in the Mac OS turned on (but most people would not know how to "breach" your computer even if the firewall was turned off).

Thank you smax, you've cleared up a lot.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users