Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Numbers game: Why analyst says iPhone market share will exceed Android - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Numbers game: Why analyst says iPhone market share will exceed Android

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:00 AM

Post your comments for Numbers game: Why analyst says iPhone market share will exceed Android here

#2 User is offline   herbert harper 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:39 AM

A Macworld article with both "analyst" and "market share" in the title? Somebody call the Macalope.

#3 User is offline   Aeneas 

• Pip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:10 AM

Dunno, Herb…seems pretty even-handed to me.

#4 User is offline   RobLewis 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

A possible complication: is it possible that some non-technophiles might be using the word "iPhone" to mean ANY smartphone? Kind of like calling any photocopier a "Xerox machine". Just asking.

#5 User is offline   AdamC 

• PipPip

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

@RobLewis

Yes, some non techs are downright dumb and don't know the difference of anything.
Interesting isn't it.

#6 User is offline   johndrake 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:26 AM

@ RobLewis, your Xerox example is right on as would the Band-Aid usage, but both of those examples took years, even decades to become part of the lexicon. And while the iPhone(s) have been around a long time most folks that I know do not call their Android, or their Blackberry an iPhone, and not everyone of them is a tech savvy person, most are just the average person on the street that knew going in what they wanted, and what it is called.

#7 User is offline   lwdesign 

• PipPip

Posted 29 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

From my own personal observation I have found an interesting bit of information: Many Android phone users I've spoken to told me they "wanted a smartphone, and Android phones are cheaper". This reminds me of Windows PC owners I've known who "wanted a computer, and Dell/Acer/Lenovo/.... are cheaper." I have several friends who think I'm an idiot for buying a Mac because they can get a computer so much cheaper. Fortunately I'm experienced with both Windows and the Mac OS, and for daily use I'd rather be strangled in my sleep than have to use Windows every day.
There is a seeming lack of differentiation involved in both cases: "a smartphone", "a computer" with what appears to be very little technical knowledge or research, which makes perfect sense. I've run into scads of smartphone users who simply have no idea how to do anything but make and answer phone calls. Their level of technical sophistication is so low that price really is the only determining factor. Similarly I find most of my Windows-using friends tend to only use Word (rudimentarily), surf the web and read emails.
Sophisticated drivers tend to prefer more expensive cars because of the ride, handling and engineering. If all you're doing is buying groceries and visiting aunt Josey down the block, you can get by with a 15-year old Ford that goes when you step on the gas.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users