Hopefully it'll even the fight. :)
(Oh crap! Now it's stuck in MY head!)

This post has been edited by ingus: 27 April 2013 - 05:41 AM

I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#3 User is offline   Dotkhan 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 05:45 AM

Bad timing, the singer of The Divinyls song "I Touch Myself" died this week of breast cancer and MS. Other people hearing you play the song may be embarrassing, but not as bad as many popular songs.
But then again, I use for a ringtone David Seville's pre-Chipmonk song "Witch Doctor" just to be annoying.

I got the Counting Crows song only because it was a free download and realized why it was free afterwards.

#4 User is offline   dannyo152 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:22 AM

You Light Up My Life was the biggest record of 1977, staying at number 1 for nearly three months. This disappointed me because in that year great pop had re-emerged after two years of dominance by pro-forma disco. In the 60s and 70s, the year's top song illustrated what was happening in pop culture. Both Elvis and The Beatles had top hits for the year. So did The Archies, true, but Sugar Sugar did usher in a few years of producer pop, in which the personnel are studio musicians and the record is about the song and the sound.

To my provably lousy ear, Debby Boone sounded off pitch.

Late in 1977, Saturday Night Fever came out and some mostly great disco records began to dominate the charts for a couple of years. That year had also seen the summer of safety pins, as the Sex Pistols were sending heart-felt wishes to their Queen.

If one wishes to explore a newly-identified sub-genre, I recommend Warren Zevon's Accidentally Like A Martyr, which comes with this disclaimer, I do like SoCal 70s singer-songwriter things. If one doesn't, and that's fine, please ignore.

#5 User is offline   phdtop 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:25 AM

Um, sir, have you been using a dictation feature recently, or has the infamous auto-correct claimed another victim?

And I quote:

Please alert my errors that the song was specifically downloaded for this podcast episode...

You may, ahem, want to alert your heirs that they were not, in fact, errors, right? :)

#6 User is offline   Philip Michaels 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:36 AM

Um, sir, have you been using a dictation feature recently, or has the infamous auto-correct claimed another victim? And I quote: Please alert my errors that the song was specifically downloaded for this podcast episode... You may, ahem, want to alert your heirs that they were not, in fact, errors, right?

Dictated, not read.

It's corrected now. We regret the heir.

#7 User is online   elaineTx 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

My most regretted iTunes downloads are a series of "re-recorded" oldies. Yeah, they are pretty close, but my mind remembers the original tracks. I listen to them as much for their ability to transport me back to that time and place as I do for the songs themselves. The "re-records" don't have that transport-ability.

iTunes store should be ashamed of itself that it would offer such inferior dreck, when the originals are so readily available.

#8 User is offline   MacintoshaFanatica 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:36 AM

I so admire the courage of the authors to readily admit their failure of good judgement and taste. My worst download was a horrid lack of judgement that trumps every song in this article: I downloaded Madonna's first album. Madonna had just burst onto the scene while I was starting college, and I thought it would bring back old feelings of nostalgia and great memories. Nothing could be further from the truth, and I long to have that $10 (yes, $10), back in my pocket. Forgive me!!

#9 User is offline   PowerPC 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

The beauty of the iTunes Store is listening to 90 seconds of a deliberately silly song instead of paying good money to download the whole thing. The example going though my head as I write this is Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy", but there must be others. 90 seconds of that guilty pleasure is certainly enough.

#10 User is offline   JBucanek 

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

I love the Divinyls. Rio was a great album. It astonishes me when people begin lecturing on what "good" music is. Music is probably the most subjective thing in the world. "Good" music is music you like to hear. "Bad" music is everything else. Now you know what to download. (You're welcome.)

#11 User is offline   FourTwoFive 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:01 AM

Music is probably the most subjective thing in the world. "Good" music is music you like to hear. "Bad" music is everything else. Now you know what to download. (You're welcome.)

This comment pretty much reflects my views on this whole thing.

Oh, and, imo, Dio was ten times the singer Ozzy ever was. Heaven and Hell is my favorite Sabbath song. RIP RJD.

#12 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostJBucanek, on 27 April 2013 - 08:39 AM, said:

It astonishes me when people begin lecturing on what "good" music is. Music is probably the most subjective thing in the world. "Good" music is music you like to hear. "Bad" music is everything else.

It depends on how you listen to music and, to a point, how great your understanding is of what's going on. Like architecture, photography, painting, writing, and any other art you can think of, there are elements that make a musical work objectively "better" than another. Bach's fugues and chorales were "better" than Joe the Choral Director From Down the Street's because the way they were put together was a tremendous thing -- the movement of the voices, the quality of the melody, etc. Lennon's "In My Life" is a "better" song than Harrison's "I'm Happy Just to Dance With You."

I'm with you on "catchiness." You can enjoy music and any other hunk of art for its catchiness (even though it's poorly constructed or trashy). But simply liking a tune because it catches your ear doesn't mean that it's as great as something that's beautifully crafted. Likewise, you can respect a musical work for the craft behind it, but still not enjoy it.

#13 User is offline   iSRS 

• PipPip

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Love it! Hope you at least got "In A Big Country" by Big Country. Great band, and, as much as I like this song, pales in comparison to some of their other stuff, which, sadly, was not a hit on this side of the pond. But they were (are? Just release their first new album in 13 years, granted, with a new lead singer (from The Alarm) and bassist)

#14 User is offline   JBucanek 

Posted 27 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

Like architecture, photography, painting, writing, and any other art you can think of, there are elements that make a musical work objectively "better" than another.

I agree, up to a point. Bach's musical constructions are "better" than Joe's because the result is more engaging, pleasant, emotive, and so on. In other words, whatever Bach did you "like" to hear that more than what Joe did. These are, essentially, objective metrics that reflect subjective values. The only reason that sound quality, composition, harmony, timing, tonality, or rhythm is "better" is when we enjoy the end result more.

I've studied music theory, played a variety of instruments (once professionally in a local orchestra). I've played classical, written jazz, been in the pit for Broadway shows, and performed on stage. I've heard all kinds of theories and opinions about what makes "good' music, and my conclusion is that's it's the music you like to hear.

P.S. I really enjoy your writing and look forward to every piece. If you'll tolerate an uneducated, subjective, option, here's mine: "Chris Breen is a great writer." Why? Because I like to read his articles.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users