Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iTunes Match: another neglected Apple service - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iTunes Match: another neglected Apple service

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:30 AM

Post your comments for iTunes Match: another neglected Apple service here

#2 User is offline   jovike 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:13 AM

I would use this service, but the main things stopping me are: I have more than 25,000 songs. I am still catching up digitally with all the music I love from the 60s and 70s which I have on analog media.

The other problem is disk space. In an age when an iOS app can be 1GB, I am close to filling my 1TB system disk. I have two other 1TB disks which are backups. A lot of my music would be replaced by larger files, so I would need to buy three 2TB disks. (Can I replace my internal drive on the iMac?)

I need a local copy: I don't trust anyone, not even Apple, to keep a particular cloud service going for ever. I've deleted some TV shows which are in the cloud, but there are DVDs available to replace these.

Metadata: I want the release date or recording date on my music, and the highest quality cover art. There is no way I will let Apple change these will-nilly.

Checking all the changes that Match makes will be a cumbersome task.

That's it!

#3 User is offline   DougAdams 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:27 AM

My gripe is that iTunes Match will upgrade some of my Purchases with CLEAN versions. A "clean" Amy Winehouse is not Amy Winehouse at all.
the doug part of dougscripts.com

#4 User is offline   JohnCoxon 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:27 AM

Thank you for writing this – I had been planning on buying iTunes Match on the assumption that the bugs had been ironed out, but now I can see they haven't I'll hold off until I read in Macworld that they have!

#5 User is offline   SteveBrewster 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 04:38 AM

I'd like to see iTunes Match compared with what amazon is offering. I know they give you up to 250,000 songs at least.

#6 User is offline   J1739 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

So right! iTunes Match is a mess. I have many corrupted songs that can't be played. Somehow they were corrupted during the upload process (some should have been matched) and now they are useless, both locally and in the cloud. Spent 3 hr on the phone with Apple support one day, and although the guy at the other end was very knowledgeable we couldn't fix the issue. I can't even remove my library and reload since the corrupted songs are still in iTune match in iCloud and there is no way that I've found to delete them and start over. What a mess... Apple can and should do better. After all, we are paying for the service!

#7 User is offline   Pontavignon 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

Thank you for writing this – I had been planning on buying iTunes Match on the assumption that the bugs had been ironed out, but now I can see they haven't I'll hold off until I read in Macworld that they have!

Ditto.

#8 User is offline   djr12 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

To this list I would add that anyone with an older iOS device probably shouldn't bother. I found iTunes Match unusable on my old iPhone 4. While it is faster on the iPhone 5 it's still far from ideal.

Other annoying bugs: lyrics don't sync properly in many cases; any kind of Smart playlist that depends on another playlist won't sync; if you turn it off (for testing or whatever) it will wipe all of the music off of your device.

#9 User is offline   SteveChavez 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:17 AM

You're being kind. My experience with iTunes match was great for the first year. Now, it simply doesn't work. It matched some cymbal sample CDs one day that I tried to import into my computer and hasn't worked since. Nothing matches anymore. It goes in an endless loop. I've called Apple support and they've been worthless. Once my subscription runs out, I'm cancelling. It's THAT bad...

#10 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

I find iTunes Match not suitable for my use. It down's allow me in because of the 25,000 file setting.

I really just want to manage my music myself without any help or "syncing" that doesn't really sync..

iTunes has turned into a hot mess. I want less functionality, not more.

#11 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

My solution was to stop paying for iTunes Match.

I'm a guy that started buying albums in the 80s and 90s on CD. I've ripped everything from those CDs using iTunes. Every album has the levels and dynamic range from the CDs. When iTunes Match only matches 7 of 9 tracks and the other 2 are uploaded, many times the volumes don't match not to mention the quality. Many of my CDs are from the mid-80's, not exactly a time for quality transfers to CD.

Until Apple fixes these problems, I won't be spending another cent on iTunes Match. They could fix my issue with a preference that read, Match Whole Albums. Which would match the whole album or none of the tracks.

#12 User is offline   FrankCDN 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

From the Shutter Island Cds I imported 1 song, Dinah Washington's/Max Richter's This Bitter Earth. Alas on my iOS devices I'd get the instrumental version. Checking the iTunes store I saw that the song can only be had if one purchases the whole album. OK, I figured iTunes match does not see the rest of the songs so i ripped the whole CD. No dice.
iTunes Match matches all the songs but when wanting to hear that particular song I get the instrumental version.

#13 User is offline   Swift2 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:34 AM

Well, I notice a theme: obsessive sound collectors who deeply, deeply care about massive music collections being properly cataloged. An error is unforgivable. I think I have about 8,000 songs, maybe. When I just start playing random tunes in the cloud, some of it is so unfamiliar that I'm listening to an old favorite that is new to me. What is true about all of Apple's online strategies is that the upgrade cycle is continuous when you're online. So Apple can't afford to stand still for a year with its upgrades. Change things as soon as you can figure out the bug.

#14 User is offline   RudolfHelder 

• Pip

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:42 AM

I would use this service, but the main things stopping me are: I have more than 25,000 songs. I am still catching up digitally with all the music I love from the 60s and 70s which I have on analog media. The other problem is disk space. In an age when an iOS app can be 1GB, I am close to filling my 1TB system disk. I have two other 1TB disks which are backups. A lot of my music would be replaced by larger files, so I would need to buy three 2TB disks. (Can I replace my internal drive on the iMac?) I need a local copy: I don't trust anyone, not even Apple, to keep a particular cloud service going for ever. I've deleted some TV shows which are in the cloud, but there are DVDs available to replace these. Metadata: I want the release date or recording date on my music, and the highest quality cover art. There is no way I will let Apple change these will-nilly. Checking all the changes that Match makes will be a cumbersome task. That's it!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users