Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iTunes Match: another neglected Apple service - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iTunes Match: another neglected Apple service

#29 User is offline   BradPDX 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

I'll follow up with something I often hear from friends; they are irked that music is constantly remastered and reissued, and that must pay to receive any improved version of the music.

Case in point: the Beatles remasters of a couple of years ago. Same familiar tunes, better sound. If you want that new sound for your copy of Rubber Soul, that will be $12.99, and it doesn't matter that you own your original vinyl and a previous CD release. As far as EMI Records is concerned, this is a new release that they wish to monetize.

Some people feel that they have a "right" to this music because they paid for some version of it, and that iTunes Match should honor this request. But that isn't something that Apple can address unilaterally - it would require explicit agreements with the copyright holders, and thus far there is nothing of that sort in place. Maybe someday, but not now.

This is one of the things that makes iTunes Match such a bear to implement, and that makes non-syncing services like Spotify and Rdio so simple in comparison. Those systems are history-free.

#30 User is offline   BradPDX 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

stikkman said:

I like the convenience of having my entire library in the cloud - available to me on all my devices but annoyed that 1: streaming only occurs to a Macintosh - the device w/ the most free space while playing the same tune on a mobile device requires it to be downloaded and reside locally on a device w/ limited free space. Playback should always stream!!

iTunes Match does stream on iOS 6. Files are cached locally (as they are on the Mac, too) but are deleted automatically as space is needed.

#31 User is offline   dlantrip 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

I have attempted several time over the past 6 months to get Apple to fix an anomaly with their match algorithm regarding Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway album. Originally, this album matched perfectly, but the only way I know this is because I have a backup on a NAS drive at home of my library sometime before iTunes 11 was released. At work on my iPhone, I tried to listen to her track "Walk Away" and it was some other song with Kelly's voice that I didn't recognized, but knew was not that song. I played several tracks of the album that I am familiar with, and only "Because of You" was correct! I had my MacBook Pro at work with me, and it exhibited the same issue, so I used Shazam to find out what the tracks were. It turns out that the songs that were wrong, were the corresponding tracks from Kelly's first release "Thankful", so because "Walk Away" is track 8 on Breakaway, it was actually playing "You Thought Wrong" which is track 8 on Thankful.

I reported this to Apple, and the first time, because I had just bought my iPhone5 they processed the request for free against my new "hardware". Even though iTunes Match is a product, there is no real "free" support for it since the support is geared toward hardware products and not software. I've been around and around with them on this matter, and to my knowledge it has NEVER been reported to the engineering team that actually develops, maintains and supports the software. There seems to be absolutely no mechanism for reporting these things. At the time, back in December 2012 thru to January 2013, when I would try to match from the songs I had in the backup (all of which were correct), only 6 of the tracks got mis-interpolated (I don't know what name to apply to this incident) to Thankful. I've tried to re-visit it with iTunes Customer Support in the past 2 weeks, and now after repeating their same suggestions, now 8 of the 12 songs get mis-interpolated to Thankful, for which I am most decidedly NOT thankful.

I have not listened to all 10K of the songs in my collection since I started iTunes Match, but if this has happened once, it's very likely to have happened repeatedly, and they haven't been found by me yet. Back in December, one of the reps made it possible to get 3 of the songs from the album for free from the iTunes Store for those that had been mismatched. The only way to truly get the right tracks was to deleted my matched album from the cloud and download the ones I had "purchased". I finally got so upset trying to get them to fix this problem, that I just purchased the "complete the CD" option for 6 bucks. Because the iPhone and iPad I got back in December neither qualifies for free support anymore as hardware, to continue "helping" me, I was going to have to pony up 20 bucks for a support call. Since none of the free help has resolved the issue OR gotten the problem reported to the team that works on the software, I wasn't going to pay for that kind of useless help from customer support.

Incidentally, now that I have "bought" the album, it downloads to the iPhone that I did the purchase on, but on my MacBook Pro where the "master" library is kept, I am unable to download most of the songs apart from the original 3 I got back in December. The iCloud status says: Ineligible! I think this is all incredibly insane, and infuriating from a customer standpoint!

#32 User is offline   willdelamater 

• Pip

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm new at this and I can't seem to convert my music from ITunes to windows media. My older files are m4p and they are DRM protected. You can change the file within iTunes to a mp3 although when you move it out of iTunes it converts right back to a m4p file. Does anybody out there know how to convert an m4p file so I can play it on my android or wm?

#33 User is offline   cookecutter 

• Pip

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:33 PM

BradPDX said:

iTunes Match does stream on iOS 6. Files are cached locally (as they are on the Mac, too) but are deleted automatically as space is needed.

#34 User is offline   cookecutter 

• Pip

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

cookecutter said:

BradPDX said

My songs don't delete as I need space - when my iPhone is full I have to manually delete all the music - is there a setting i need to change?

#35 User is offline   aspacelot 

• Pip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

All this being said, as a user with a large library, is it worth it?

#36 User is offline   DrJohnNS 

• Pip

Posted 07 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

Yep. My experience precisely with Google Music too. Almost everything began to upload, at 150kb! I gave up after 2 hours. Also - and far more criminal - classical music tracks get randomly stored by track name, e.g. Allegro Vivace. It could be anything!

Rubbish. I'll stick to my CDs.

#37 User is offline   Oogzy 

• Pip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

So it's basically Google Play Music but costs a lot of money, has more restrictions and doesn't have all your music... Awesome. I'll keep using Google Play Music since that's a free service that has all my music at 320kbps.

#38 User is offline   mumblyjoe 

• Pip

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:48 AM

The whole thing is driving me nuts. After a whole day and $6 on an app to thin out all the duplicates itunes made (5 total copies of each song) I ended up deleting the whole library and re-adding the remaining songs. No I'm trying to get iTunes match to re-upload the library but it can't even manage that. After about an hour or so "sending information to apple" it gives me an error that the connection to the itunes store has timed out. Several hours worth of network troubleshooting, preferences trashing and I'm in day 2 of trying to get itunes to "just f%*&ing work" and i'm really beginning to miss my android phone and google play music, which was free, by the way!

Apple, maybe you should call google and have them give you some pointers on how run an online music store. You seem to have forgotten.

#39 User is offline   mumblyjoe 

• Pip

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

Anyway, they ought to be matching my music and sending ME files straight off iTunes at this point, now that they've copied my lossy mp3's so many times and left me no way to tell which was original when deleting all the copies of each song.

#40 User is offline   AlexDrns 

• Pip

Posted 14 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

It should work like Style Jukebox Cloud Player

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users