• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:00 AM

Post your comments for Creating complex smart playlists in iTunes here

#2 User is offline   ahasver 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

Dear Kirk I have just a comprehension question. Unless I am missing something, I would think that the last part of your nested playlist is useless. Every song that is not performed by the Stones and U2 could be in that list. U2 songs because there not by the Stones and the other way around.
Still I love articles about the use of smart playlist. Keep them coming.

#3 User is offline   jonyo 

• PipPip

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

ahasver - I think Kirk has it right. Note that the last section starts with an "all of the following are true" which is like and AND statement, but within that closer to the end, he has nested the "any of the following are true" which is like an OR statement. So (U2 OR rolling stones) = true, AND rating = 5stars, makes it match that whole section as "true".

#4 User is offline   ahasver 

• PipPip

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

jonyo
I would understand that if the condition were ARTIST IS but it is ARTIST IS NOT. So this statement is true for every Artist even for U2 and the Stones (because there are not the other). Still I love these complex conditions even though there are not always so easy to set up.

#5 User is offline   lisdavid89pch4 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:42 PM

ahasver is correct.

With the "Any of the following is true", it acts like an OR statement. 'Artist is not U2' would mean that The Rolling Stones gets added to the playlist (since only this condition needs to be met in an OR statement and not both since it's not an AND statement). 'Artist is not The Rolling Stones' would mean that U2 gets added to the playlist (also because only this statement alone needs to be met in an OR statement). In the end both artists would get added. In my tests, it does nullify one another. Try that last section in its own separate smart playlist and you will see both artists appear in the playlist.

The condition should be "All of the following is true" to correctly say that 'Artist is not U2' AND 'Artist is not The Rolling Stones'. That way, both must be satisfied at the same time so that U2 AND The Rolling Stones won't be added.

#6 User is offline   kirkmc 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Yes, you're right about the Any - All at the end. I've sent my editor a corrected screenshot; the article will be fixed soon.
Macworld Senior Contributor - Macworld's iTunes Guy - Editor of Mac OS X Hints
Read my blog Kirkville, writings about more than just Macs. Twitter: @mcelhearn
My latest book: Take Control of iTunes 10: The FAQ

#7 User is offline   msihvon 

• Pip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

How does one create the sections? I cannot find the "Any" as the first section under "✓ Match all off the following rules:" Likewise, I cannot find the "All" as in the second section.

#8 User is offline   devinhedge 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

msihvon said:

How does one create the sections? I cannot find the "Any" as the first section under "✓ Match all off the following rules:" Likewise, I cannot find the "All" as in the second section.

I don't have that option either.

#9 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2013 - 05:51 AM

View Postmsihvon, on 16 May 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Hold down the option key and (+) becomes (...) with more options.

(why Apple decided to hide that third button that we used to have completely beats me)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users