#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:50 AM

Post your comments for My top five TextExpander snippets here

#2 User is offline   ddhatfi 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:54 PM

TextExpander (and as I understood it, any similar types of apps) interfered with Dragon's speech programs (Naturally Speaking at first, then Dictate, I think), making it do all sorts of crazy things. The only solution (according to Dragon) was to turn off TextExpander or the other offending program. As I bought both programs to process the same papers (grading college papers), I was forced to lose some functionality to use another.

This went on for at least a couple of major upgrades of both Dragon and TextExpander programs, with neither one coming up with any solutions to the problem and the only suggestions being to turn one off and only use the other. Not really all that helpful.

I haven't even bothered to check in the past year or so, but is this incompatibility between TE and Dragon Dictate in their current versions still a problem?

Otherwise, this was a very good primer on using TE, and I learned some useful tricks from it, so thank you!

#3 User is offline   devchang 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:56 AM

Cmd-opt-shift-v will usually paste plain text without formatting. If you copy (cmd-c) a selected file from Finder, cmd-opt-shift-v in a text field will paste just the file name instead of the entire file tree (or file, depends on the program).

In Evernote though, you have to use cmd-shift-v to paste as plain text. Hope that helps some workflows out.

#4 User is offline   sjk 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:53 AM

ddhatfi said:

TextExpander (and as I understood it, any similar types of apps) interfered with Dragon's speech programs (Naturally Speaking at first, then Dictate, I think), making it do all sorts of crazy things.

Have you tried Typinator (which, surprisingly, wasn't mentioned in this article)?

The only solution (according to Dragon) was to turn off TextExpander or the other offending program.

Is it sufficient to configure TE so it's only disabled when a conflicting Dragon speech app is running/active?

Note to MW staff: The ability preview a draft comment here before posting it would be greatly appreciated.

#5 User is offline   pxforti 

• PipPip

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the review. After hearing about it, I immediately bought TextExpander. How did I live without it!

#6 User is offline   kranbollin 

• PipPip

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

A somewhat cheaper alternative is jfSnip ($15 Shareware). It may not have as many bells, or whistles, as TE, but the basic functionality is quite similar.

#7 User is offline   OnPoint331 

• PipPip

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

Probably the only add on I use every single day. Great app.

#8 User is offline   thiagoaraujos 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

There is no limitation; you can also use the "search snippets" shortcut (by default Cmd + F10), and type a part of the text you're looking for.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users