Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using jpgs as file folder icons...

#1 User is offline   pharos_hill 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

It used to be (!) that you could select the generic orange file icon in its "Info" window and then paste a copied jpg in its place. I am running OSX10.8.3 on a MBP laptop and this doesn't seem to work any longer. I get the generic jpg icon appearing upon pasting, but no actual picture.

Is there something I'm missing, or a workaround to change file folder icons? I haven't had need to do this for a while, but after re-partitioning an external HD the need arose again.

Thanks for any and all help!! Posted Image

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 May 2013 - 03:07 PM

View Postpharos_hill, on 03 May 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

It used to be (!) that you could select the generic orange file icon in its "Info" window and then paste a copied jpg in its place. I am running OSX10.8.3 on a MBP laptop and this doesn't seem to work any longer. I get the generic jpg icon appearing upon pasting, but no actual picture.

Is there something I'm missing, or a workaround to change file folder icons? I haven't had need to do this for a while, but after re-partitioning an external HD the need arose again.

Thanks for any and all help!! Posted Image

I'm not sure what "generic orange file icon" you're talking about, but the mechanism for setting a custom icon on a file in the Mac OS hasn't changed since the feature was introduced well before the advent of OS X.

#3 User is offline   pharos_hill 

• PipPip

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

View Postbastion, on 06 May 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

I'm not sure what "generic orange file icon" you're talking about, but the mechanism for setting a custom icon on a file in the Mac OS hasn't changed since the feature was introduced well before the advent of OS X.

Well, unless memory is failing me (not unheard of!), it's a case of copy the jpg, select the icon image top-left in the file's Info box, and then paste the jpg into that location, correct? Trouble is, all I am getting is the generic "two photographs and desktop magnifier" jpg icon in all cases. I'm wondering, is there a maximum size these jpgs have to be below to be used in this way?

Again, thanks for all help and advice!!

#4 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:41 AM

View Postpharos_hill, on 06 May 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

View Postbastion, on 06 May 2013 - 03:07 PM, said:

Well, unless memory is failing me (not unheard of!), it's a case of copy the jpg, select the icon image top-left in the file's Info box, and then paste the jpg into that location, correct? Trouble is, all I am getting is the generic "two photographs and desktop magnifier" jpg icon in all cases. I'm wondering, is there a maximum size these jpgs have to be below to be used in this way?

Again, thanks for all help and advice!!

There's no maximum size; the image you paste is used as source material for generating a set of icons rather than as the icon itself.

I wonder, from your description, if you're trying to copy a file in Finder and use that as the icon. That won't work. You have to open the picture that you want to use as the icon and then select and copy the actual image data that you want to use.

#5 User is offline   pharos_hill 

• PipPip

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:50 AM

View Postbastion, on 07 May 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

There's no maximum size; the image you paste is used as source material for generating a set of icons rather than as the icon itself.

I wonder, from your description, if you're trying to copy a file in Finder and use that as the icon. That won't work. You have to open the picture that you want to use as the icon and then select and copy the actual image data that you want to use.

There's the charm! Solved!!! Many thanks indeed. So much appreciated.

Happy Days!! Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users