Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Review: Kindle for iOS remains a compelling iBooks alternative - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Review: Kindle for iOS remains a compelling iBooks alternative

#15 User is offline   RickAH 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

With the size of our libraries growing the lack of a feature to all the Kindle reading devices or content is a way to tag a book "as read" and maybe with a date when it was last read. Specifically "read" means 100% complete. The reverse might also be useful. That is to mark a book or content as "unread". In a prefect world it would be nice to have both tags.

That is specially relevant in light a previous comment that when updating the Kindle app, and by the way when upgrading to a new Kindle device, one is required to reload all unread content from the archive data base of books.

Repeated ticklers to Amazon on this point over the years has yielded no interest on their part to consider this shortcoming.

I fairness, don't know if iBook has that ability either.

#16 User is offline   doccat5 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

stuffe said:

Another inconvenience is that fact that no matter how much care and attention you may take to organise your books into lists and folders etc on a genuine Kindle device, those filing and sorting options do not carry across to the App versions for iOS (And others?), instead you simply get a giant lump of books with minimal sorting options and no ability to view, much less edit, your folder settings.

#17 User is offline   doccat5 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:03 AM

Absolutely agree! As a confirmed bibliophile, I find the lack of the ability to organize my books files etc., more than a little annoying and frustrating. I would like the option of organizing my books by genre. The current options are lame!

#18 User is offline   doccat5 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:04 AM

RickAH said:

With the size of our libraries growing the lack of a feature to all the Kindle reading devices or content is a way to tag a book "as read" and maybe with a date when it was last read. Specifically "read" means 100% complete. The reverse might also be useful. That is to mark a book or content as "unread". In a prefect world it would be nice to have both tags. That is specially relevant in light a previous comment that when updating the Kindle app, and by the way when upgrading to a new Kindle device, one is required to reload all unread content from the archive data base of books. Repeated ticklers to Amazon on this point over the years has yielded no interest on their part to consider this shortcoming. I fairness, don't know if iBook has that ability either.

#19 User is offline   musicbee 

• Pip

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

As a student the lack of page numbers is confounding. Researching past information about this in "google land" I noticed there were references to Amazon offering both page numbers and location with their books. Haven't seen it yet. I do not want to carry heavy textbooks, but what am I to do when my Professor is referencing books by page number. I haven't even tried writing a paper yet in APA format without a page number, yikes!! These e-book apps have been out long enough it should have been solved by now, good grief. A perfect example of where technology fails, come on Amazon.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users