Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Excel for Macs Can't open Excel documents sent by e mail

#1 User is offline   Barbwire 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:40 PM

I received an Excel document in e mail. When I tried to open it all I got was the blank form. Couldn't find any data. But there behind the form were all the documents I had opened in Excel in the last week or so, On the desktop just like I had forgotten to close the windows. The last time I created a document (a worksheet) the data disappeared. When I opened the saved W/S there was no data ,just the blank form. I had not tried to hide the data. Any idea what is going on?
Barbwire

#2 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostBarbwire, on 11 May 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

I received an Excel document in e mail. When I tried to open it all I got was the blank form. Couldn't find any data. But there behind the form were all the documents I had opened in Excel in the last week or so, On the desktop just like I had forgotten to close the windows. The last time I created a document (a worksheet) the data disappeared. When I opened the saved W/S there was no data ,just the blank form. I had not tried to hide the data. Any idea what is going on?
Barbwire

Have you tried saving it to your system first, before opening it?
Which version of Office / Excel do you have?
Which version of Office was the file created in? Under windows? Or Mac?

Does it / could it contain Dynamic Data or certain dependencies? Meaning could there be links inside the file that link to a file on the senders' system? or network?

It could be hung up on that.

If there is some issue with Office version mismatches; you may need to ask the sender to save the file into an older more compatible format / as a previous version.

#3 User is offline   Barbwire 

• Pip

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:54 PM

View Posticerabbit, on 13 May 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

Barbwire

Does it / could it contain Dynamic Data or certain dependencies? Meaning could there be links inside the file that link to a file on the senders' system? or network?

If there is some issue with Office version mismatches; you may need to ask the sender to save the file into an older more compatible format / as a previous version.

Thanks for the reply. I will try some of these suggestions. I have Excel for Mac version 14.3

#4 User is offline   JackMac 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostBarbwire, on 14 May 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

View Posticerabbit, on 13 May 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

Barbwire

Thanks for the reply. I will try some of these suggestions. I have Excel for Mac version 14.3

It could be a font issue. In my case excel spreadsheets that I received were blank because they were in a font that I didn't have. I had to "select all" and change to a different font and everything was there.
The worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades.
Demetri Martin

#5 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

View PostJackMac, on 15 May 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

It could be a font issue. In my case excel spreadsheets that I received were blank because they were in a font that I didn't have. I had to "select all" and change to a different font and everything was there.

Clever!
I haven't had that one. I typically see stuff substituted (sometimes poorly) in a "similar" font.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users