Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Periodic MacBook Pro Black-outs; Need advice - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Periodic MacBook Pro Black-outs; Need advice My gut says my machine's dying...

#1 User is offline   species5618 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

Hello folks, I need some tech advice here. I am hoping this is not a serious problem, but my gut says my machine's dying.

I have a 3yo 15.4" MacBook Pro. It has 4GB RAM, a 2.66GHz i7 CPU and a 500GB internal HD, running System 10.6.8.

Starting last winter, my machine would, every few weeks, crash. I have an external HD hooked up via USB, which I was told could be the problem. I disconnected it and for a time, the crashing appeared to stop.

Now, almost once/day, the machine blacks out. It's not shut down and it's not in sleep mode. Everything just goes black, even the little white light on the right side of the base and the keyboard as well. But, merely hitting the power button does not wake it up or reboot it. Slapping a key does not wake it up. I need to hold the power button down for several seconds, like it had crashed or frozen, to make it officially shut down. Then a regular boot-up is possible and the machine's fine for a while.

It does not seem to happen under any particular circumstances. Setting up my iPhone/iTunes syncing prefs or trying to buy tickets via Universal City's site both seemed to be followed recently by these bizarre power-downs.

What do y'all think is happening? I have begun a massive file back-up campaign.

Thanks much.
How is it that the Left continues to harangue the Tea Party because a few nutcases were on display when they turn around and say we should not condemn Islam because of a few nutcases? ~ Glenn Bacon

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

View Postspecies5618, on 17 May 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Hello folks, I need some tech advice here. I am hoping this is not a serious problem, but my gut says my machine's dying.

I have a 3yo 15.4" MacBook Pro. It has 4GB RAM, a 2.66GHz i7 CPU and a 500GB internal HD, running System 10.6.8.

Starting last winter, my machine would, every few weeks, crash. I have an external HD hooked up via USB, which I was told could be the problem. I disconnected it and for a time, the crashing appeared to stop.

Now, almost once/day, the machine blacks out. It's not shut down and it's not in sleep mode. Everything just goes black, even the little white light on the right side of the base and the keyboard as well. But, merely hitting the power button does not wake it up or reboot it. Slapping a key does not wake it up. I need to hold the power button down for several seconds, like it had crashed or frozen, to make it officially shut down. Then a regular boot-up is possible and the machine's fine for a while.

It does not seem to happen under any particular circumstances. Setting up my iPhone/iTunes syncing prefs or trying to buy tickets via Universal City's site both seemed to be followed recently by these bizarre power-downs.

What do y'all think is happening? I have begun a massive file back-up campaign.

Thanks much.

Does it happen only with your are on the battery? Or does it also happen when the power adapter is plugged in?

#3 User is offline   species5618 

• PipPip

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:11 AM

Hello Smax...

Well, my machine is almost perpetually plugged in, so yes, when the guy's power cord is attached this is happening.
How is it that the Left continues to harangue the Tea Party because a few nutcases were on display when they turn around and say we should not condemn Islam because of a few nutcases? ~ Glenn Bacon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users