• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Outgoing Mail Help

#1 User is offline   Rcovell 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

At Church, we use a G5 iMac running Tiger. In the past we have only had dial-up internet service.
Recently, we were able to establish a connection to wi-fi.

We can surf the 'net and receive email without problem using Safari and Mac Mail.
But, we can't send email using Mail. (We could before on the dial-up.)
We can log-in to our ISP and compose and send email there.

I've checked our smtp settings and they haven't changed. I've tried switching ports.
I've tried restarting the iMac and can't figure out why Mail won't send.

Is there something I'm missing? Any ideas to help?

Thanks, Bob.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostRcovell, on 08 June 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

At Church, we use a G5 iMac running Tiger. In the past we have only had dial-up internet service.

We can surf the 'net and receive email without problem using Safari and Mac Mail.

I've checked our smtp settings and they haven't changed. I've tried switching ports.

Thanks, Bob.

Is this an ISP email account? Is the WiFi network through your ISP or through some other Internet connection that does not go through your ISP?

Do you use a login/user ID with the SMTP settings? Or is it just the SMTP server?

If it is the latter, then that might explain it. Many ISPs will tend to require you to setup your user ID & password for the SMTP server when you are sending mail while NOT connected to THEIR network. Some ISPs just flat out require you to do this whether you are connected to their network or not. It is basically a way to fight spam (it used to be that spammers could easily send spam using an "open" SMTP server).

#3 User is offline   JimThompson 

• Pip

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:06 PM

View Postsmax013, on 10 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

View PostRcovell, on 08 June 2013 - 10:49 AM, said:

Thanks, Bob.

Is this an ISP email account? Is the WiFi network through your ISP or through some other Internet connection that does not go through your ISP?

Do you use a login/user ID with the SMTP settings? Or is it just the SMTP server?

If it is the latter, then that might explain it. Many ISPs will tend to require you to setup your user ID & password for the SMTP server when you are sending mail while NOT connected to THEIR network. Some ISPs just flat out require you to do this whether you are connected to their network or not. It is basically a way to fight spam (it used to be that spammers could easily send spam using an "open" SMTP server).

I have just about the same issue as above. Moved an older Mac G5 with OS 10.4.11 to another location. Have wi-fi through Comcast and everything works fine on other devices (iPhone, iPad, MacBook). But on the G5, I receive receive mail just fine, but cannot send new messages or reply to received messages. All seems ok with the wi-fi connection. In the mail connection doctor, there is a red light for Mail internet connection status but when I ran the diagnostics, everything came up green. Help!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users