• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Generating Thumbnails in iMovie 11

#1 User is offline   tonester 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 June 2013 - 05:08 AM

Hi:

Not really a big iMovie user, but I decided to give it a whirl. Started a new project and importing movies stored in iPhoto. Right now it is in the process of generating thumbnails from those 7 or 8 movie clips. Taking like an hour. I understand it takes awhile because they are HD movies recorded from my iPhone 5.

My question is:Is this going to happen every time i open iMovie to start another project? Or is this a one time deal. I understand that if I make any more videos, it will do the same thumbnail generating. But if I have to do the process for all the video again, that could be a deal breaker

Thanks in advance

anthony

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

tonester, on 09 June 2013 - 05:08 AM, said:

Hi:

Not really a big iMovie user, but I decided to give it a whirl. Started a new project and importing movies stored in iPhoto. Right now it is in the process of generating thumbnails from those 7 or 8 movie clips. Taking like an hour. I understand it takes awhile because they are HD movies recorded from my iPhone 5.

My question is:Is this going to happen every time i open iMovie to start another project? Or is this a one time deal. I understand that if I make any more videos, it will do the same thumbnail generating. But if I have to do the process for all the video again, that could be a deal breaker

Thanks in advance

anthony

My (somewhat educated) guess is that the iMovie must convert the movies into a format that it can use for editing purposes and that is what is taking the time...but I could be wrong. If I am correct, then any time you import in new videos into iMovie from iPhoto, this will happen. OTOH, if you save a copy of that iMovie file with the "converted" videos in that iMovie file, then anytime you open that particular iMovie file, this should not happen again. And I would think that in theory you could copy those videos from the iMovie file into a new iMovie file/project and not have the delay.

Note: I have not used iMovie in quite a while, but the above makes sense from what I recall from when I used it years ago.

This post has been edited by smax013: 10 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users