Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Will Quicken 2007 for Lion work on Mountain Lion - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Will Quicken 2007 for Lion work on Mountain Lion

#1 User is offline   Duncan39 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:55 PM

Hi Gang

I am needing some help. when I downloaded Lion when It came out I lost the use of my Quicken 2007 till intuit came out with Quicken 2007 for Lion patch. I am still using Lion because I am worried that if I downloaded Mountain Lion I would would be in the same boat again and loose Quicken again. I want to be up to date when Mavrick comes out. I called Quicken Tech support and could not get a straight answer from them if it would crash Quicken 2007 for Lion if I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Does anyone use Quicken 2007 for Lion in Mountain Lion? and Problems when you went from Lion to Mountain Lion?

Thanks for Help

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostDuncan39, on 11 June 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

Hi Gang

I am needing some help. when I downloaded Lion when It came out I lost the use of my Quicken 2007 till intuit came out with Quicken 2007 for Lion patch. I am still using Lion because I am worried that if I downloaded Mountain Lion I would would be in the same boat again and loose Quicken again. I want to be up to date when Mavrick comes out. I called Quicken Tech support and could not get a straight answer from them if it would crash Quicken 2007 for Lion if I upgraded to Mountain Lion. Does anyone use Quicken 2007 for Lion in Mountain Lion? and Problems when you went from Lion to Mountain Lion?

Thanks for Help

The problem was that Quicken 2007 was originally written for PowerPC chips. Up until Lion, the Mac OS for Intel chips came with Rosetta that allowed you to run programs written for PowerPC chips. Lion (and future versions) does not have Rosetta, so Quicken 2007 would not work with WITHOUT Intuit making significant programming changes to it. This is what they eventually did.

http://www.macobserv...c_2007_for_lion

So, in theory, the Lion "version" of Quicken 2007 should work with Mountain Lion. While I cannot say that it definitely will (I don't use Quicken), I am more than 95% sure that it will. Others might chime in with direct experience. As well, a Google search of "quicken 2007 mountain lion" returns to forum discussions on other forums about it. Here is one example on the Intuit forums:

https://qlc.intuit.c...d-mountain-lion

And if you want to be safe, then before you update to Mountain Lion, get an external drive that you can boot from (best if a Firewire or USB 3.0 drive, but a USB 2.0 drive will work typically as well) and a cloning program like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner and then clone your current setup to the external disk. Then if you find there are issue between Mountain Lion and Quicken 2007 for Lion (or any other program for that matter), you can boot off the external drive and clone your Lion setup back to the computer. I use SuperDuper! as one layer of my backup routine. And I routinely update the clone (SuperDuper! can do a "SmartUpdate" of a clone that does not take as long as a new clone from scratch) just before major system and/or application updates. This allows me to "revert" if something hoses my system.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users