Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Haswell: What Intel's new processor promises for Mac users - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Haswell: What Intel's new processor promises for Mac users

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:30 AM

Post your comments for Haswell: What Intel's new processor promises for Mac users here

#2 User is offline   cdumez 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

Elephant in the room: No Haswell MacBook Pro laptops. ETA?

#3 User is offline   egis 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:04 AM

How the PC community will adapt Haswell is going to be really interesting to watch. Given that mobile cpu's (i.e., laptops) dominate the sales channel as opposed to desktops, it is presumed a more serious cause for both Microsoft and the open source Linux community to pay lots more attention to many of the same software improvements Apple made in Mavericks. Cumulatively both Haswell and Mavericks bring about an improved user experience. Smart hardware vendors ought to be banging at Mircorsoft's door for cpu, ram, memory and cache processing enhancements that take advantage of Haswell's attributes. Lagging on this front will no doubt impact sales - all to Apple's advantage.

Haswell is customer/end user friendly. It stands to reason that software application vendors (Apple too) can have a marketing and sales advantage if they leverage Haswell's energy and memory via the OS' energy and storage management properties with no loss of performance and functionality.

There is this thing we have grown accustomed to called software hogging (and I won't name names, but I think we all can figure them out without too much effort). While hogging was really apparent when 100% of an app's functionality rested at the client and cpu's offered power at the expense of battery life (and even now with the cloud, there remains considerable work and software cooperation that must be performed at the client), Haswell seems to be a bit disruptive to the hogs among us.

Haswell makes visible a dimension for application performance differentiation that I simply call 'efficient". Customers now can decide to use application software from vendors who demonstrate they too pay attention to cpu, graphics, operating system and storage performance interactions, and I expect vendors will advertize those efficiency capabilities as opposed to those who continue to impose inefficient architecture and sloppy coding on users that we witness as memory hogging and low battery indicators.

#4 User is offline   jdb8167 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Geekbench shows just under a 9% improvement in CPU speed 1.7 GHz i7 Haswell vs. my 2.0 GHz i7 Ivy Bridge mid 2012 MacBook Air. 8302 vs. 7644. So very slightly faster but much better battery life and much better GPU.

#5 User is offline   Zoidbert 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

cdumez said:

Same here; was *quite* ready to upgrade at keynote time. I thought that, for certain, they'd demo the MBAs on stage and the MBPs would get the Haswell/802.11ac treatment via a quiet update. No dice.

Hope it isn't long; I've got an open Purchase Order I'm itching to use. And I know more than one parent wanting to get MBPs for their kids b'f they head off to school, but they're all waiting on the inevitable upgrade.

Most consumers likely don't know anything about Haswell or 802.11ac, but I would imagine the sales are going to stall a bit while we sweat it out.

#6 User is offline   robco 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

cdumez said:

My guess is we'll see them in another month or so. The rMBPs were bumped back in February. Depends on how much inventory Apple has on hand, and how quickly Intel is ramping up production on the new CPUs. Intel may be focusing on getting the Ultrabook versions fully ramped up first, since that's a hot market segment. Either/or Apple wants to release them around the time Mavericks drops.

#7 User is offline   rock893 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:30 PM

wow 10% increase, that's AMAZING!! OUT OF THIS WORLD!! can't belive it. people should manage what they buy, not companies manage the people from what and how they sell, companies could sell 3 years next tecnollogy now but seems people like buy like "slowly, slowly, there is, m..."

#8 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

cdumez said:

I suspect they'll be out at the same time as the Mac Pro. Why? Intel isn't releasing Thunderbolt 2 until near the end of the year.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#9 User is offline   oceanskate 

• Pip

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

when we're talking apple, hardware shouldn't ven be mentioned because A) it's often behind the PC (for windows market) tech curve and they over charge for it. Apple typically deliveres 6 month to 2 year stale hardware, while using hypnosis to fool people into thinking they stole the tech from an alien ship from the future via a time machine. Intel will "promise" very little if anything for mac users because macs are basically PC's using mid grade components. The ony difference may be in the mobile area with things like power etc... But it's not like this is some apple "innovation" anyway. And pretty much anything delivered will be offered on other pc laptops anyway. The only exception here will be some of the other offerings may be superior to any of apple's, and expect lower prices than apple's. And for those who need an example of "stale" hardware, just look at the iMacs where apple waited nearly 2 full years to bring core i7, letting it's users have lousy core 2 duo, while pc users enjoyed video rendering and more at twice the speed or more... And at only $700, if you shop around of course.

#10 User is offline   oceanskate 

• Pip

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

"Intel’s Thunderbolt was originally a Mac exclusive, as Intel brought the technology to the market together with Apple in a bid to outdo USB 3.0."

If there's anything I've learned hanging around tech articles over the last few years, it's that apple often tries to outdo everyone with some new announcement, or some deal with another hardware house in a bid to amaze all the drooling iFans, only to end up not doing it! Unless they hold some tech secret (which they never do), it's foolish because something with a stronger foothold, simply comes out with a new version and stomps it out. I remember when firewire and others tried to out do USB 1. It just became USB 2. I'm no fan boy of USB, but it just has such a strong foot hold and until something is truly better that USB can not beat, it will stay USB I figure.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users