Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iOS 7, Siri, and Google: Apple still playing catch up, but making aggressive moves - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iOS 7, Siri, and Google: Apple still playing catch up, but making aggressive moves

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

Post your comments for iOS 7, Siri, and Google: Apple still playing catch up, but making aggressive moves here

#2 User is offline   richcon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

Why is it that any time Apple decides to use some other provider than Google it's taken as an attack on Google? They're not the only provider of search (and mapping) data, and they demand much tougher terms to use their data than Apple is willing to pay. The reason Apple switched to TomTom for maps is because Google (reportedly) demanded customer data and advertising rights in return for the vector maps and turn by turn directions Apple wanted -- which Apple won't give up.

Did you notice the complete lack of ads in Siri's web results? There's not a snowball'a chance in hell of Google letting Apple strip away their search ads. Microsoft, however, is trying to promote their search and is clearly willing to play ball.

So Google competes with the iPhone. Microsoft competes with *every single other product Apple makes*. Including the iPhone. And they have a far longer and more successful history pissing off Apple.

#3 User is offline   TimothyA 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:53 PM

"No Google required. No Google involved."

And no Google possible, if I read this correctly.

I can understand Apple throwing down the gauntlet, but its removing user choice in the search engine Siri uses is offensive, in my view.

I took the Bing Challenge, and Google won. It's simply the superior search engine. I resent being a pawn in Apple's Google feud.

P.S. Not only are the squiggly lines when you talk to Siri bad interface design, but so is the white text on top of the blotchy grey background in Siri's results. Shame on you, Apple, for foisting this travesty off on the users!

#4 User is offline   jolipoli 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

TimothyA said:

Shame on you, Apple, for foisting this travesty off on the users!

iOS 7 is scheduled to be released in the fall.

#5 User is offline   Steve_S 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:50 AM

The headline states "Apple still playing catch up with Google", but fails to really demonstrate that point.

Yes, agreed, Google's transcription process is more real time than Apple's and I do prefer that one feature. I'd even say that for web searches, Google's service is faster as well. However, it most every other respect, I find Siri to be a much better service overall, mostly due to it's deep integration with the phone and supporting applications. Likewise, the headline doesn't seem to be supported by the content of this article.

#6 User is offline   RobLewis 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

I wonder if Google may have a patent on its "recognize on the fly" technology and that's why Apple hasn't tried to adopt it.

#7 User is offline   MorganNews 

• Pip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

If you ask Siri today, “How old is Elvis Costello,” Siri will quickly show the relevant WolframAlpha answer without the clutter of a Wikipedia response. He's 58 years, 9 months, 20 days, by the way.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users