Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: FAQ: everything you need to know about OS X Mavericks - Macworld Forums

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

FAQ: everything you need to know about OS X Mavericks

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

Post your comments for FAQ: everything you need to know about OS X Mavericks here

#2 User is offline   Luis_Alejandro 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:22 AM

quote:
"What didn’t we see this week?"

iLife.

#3 User is offline   HobbesDoo 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

My take is that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg and the look will change when it's finally released. I can't imagine them changing the look of some applications without reworking the look of the OS as a whole. When you look at the changes in the Calendar, it's hard to imagine even its icon will or should remain the same. All this from someone who's still trying to guess the lottery numbers, so I may be terribly wrong. :-)

#4 User is offline   Luis_Alejandro 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 11:35 AM

Newstand for Mac?

#5 User is offline   nbuck 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:06 PM

One thing I want to see in Maps – both in Mavericks and iOS 7 – is the ability to modify suggested routes like you can in Google Maps.

#6 User is offline   Inkling 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

I like everything about Mavericks but the name. For anyone who is not a California surfer, it means nothing. And if a surfing locale can take on any broader meaning, it's that of unpredictability, chaos, churning and confusion. Not a good name for an OS.

Assuming no more big cats could be found, a better choice would be the world's major mountains, solid, impressive and photogenic. Denali I'd like. Mavericks sounds like a minor league baseball team.

Apple must not have run this one past focus groups--or at least not any outside coastal California.

#7 User is offline   philomath777 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

@inling
They did run it by a focus group - a bunch of mavericks at Infinite Loop.-:)

#8 User is offline   jefl19 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 12:44 PM

Inkling said:

I like everything about Mavericks but the name. For anyone who is not a California surfer, it means nothing. And if a surfing locale can take on any broader meaning, it's that of unpredictability, chaos, churning and confusion. Not a good name for an OS. Assuming no more big cats could be found, a better choice would be the world's major mountains, solid, impressive and photogenic. Denali I'd like. Mavericks sounds like a minor league baseball team. Apple must not have run this one past focus groups--or at least not any outside coastal California.

Its a nba team dallas mavericks not minor league but I see your point both are irrevelant to their location but a surfing shack come on bobcat would have been a better name!! And I want siri for the mac really bad hope it comes as a 10.9.1 or.2 update.

#9 User is offline   FurriousG 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Too bad. I was looking forward to Mac OS X: “Caracal"

#10 User is offline   RichardHung 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:18 PM

What fools! There are PLENTY of good cat names left. Ocelot, Serval, Wildcat, Margay, Oncilla, Bobcat, etc. C'mon people, this isn't about running out of cat names.

Really, they changed the name scheme because the established scheme was fully Steve Jobs era, and they want a new era established. Steve Jobs was all about the big fluffy kitties, which artistic folks are all for too. The Snow Leopard kitty pic was THE BEST, especially when the original was published.

Now it's back to dull safe Intel-style placenames. Ho Hum. BORING.

#11 User is offline   Horrido 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:36 PM

Apple ran out of "Big Cats" names. Lynx, Bobcat, Ocelot, etc., are relatively small cats.

BTW, some of Apple's previous codenames were rather redundant. You do know that Puma, Panther, and Mountain Lion are all the **same** cat, right?

#12 User is offline   RhymingDesigner 

• PipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:20 PM

I happen to live in a coastal California town and Mavericks alienates me. What about the other Mac users?

It seems that Apple and its execs are trying a little too hard to come off as *cool* to a younger target audience. I had to roll my eyes at Federighi's reference to running out to surf 30-foot waves. C'mon. Dude.

Note to Apple: Do what you do well. That's impressive enough.

#13 User is offline   jesslorenzo 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

Just installed Mavericks as part of appleseed program.
So far, everything they promised works.

Tabbed finder is great
reduced memory usage is very very good
Still have not tried out 10.9 with much battery use but I expect.

Notes are flatter as well... no more memo pad.

few bugs with the preview release but that is expected.
wont disclose much more because of apples' confidentiality clause.

last word... look forward to this. :-)

#14 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:36 PM

Inkling said:

I like everything about Mavericks but the name. For anyone who is not a California surfer, it means nothing. And if a surfing locale can take on any broader meaning, it's that of unpredictability, chaos, churning and confusion. Not a good name for an OS. Assuming no more big cats could be found, a better choice would be the world's major mountains, solid, impressive and photogenic. Denali I'd like. Mavericks sounds like a minor league baseball team. Apple must not have run this one past focus groups--or at least not any outside coastal California.

Focus groups! Hahahahahaha!

Oh, wait, you were serious? Apple doesn't use focus groups. People who want to appeal to the lowest common denominator — not Apple — use that lame process. The Ford Excursion is what focus groups lead that automaker to create. They kept saying, "It need ps to be a little bigger..." And they made that massive waste of perfectly good raw materials (and gas).
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users