Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Lab Tested: Haswell MacBook Air benefits from faster graphics, flash storage - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lab Tested: Haswell MacBook Air benefits from faster graphics, flash storage

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:35 PM

Post your comments for Lab Tested: Haswell MacBook Air benefits from faster graphics, flash storage here

#2 User is offline   grantmcconnaughey 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:39 PM

Can someone please explain why the speed in GHz went down on these MacBook Airs? For example, I have a "last-gen" 13" MacBook Air with 2.0 GHz dual-core i7, but now the highest you can get is a 1.7 GHz dual-core i7. Is there someone change in Haswell that is causing this?

#3 User is offline   doh123 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:01 PM

grantmcconnaughey said:

Can someone please explain why the speed in GHz went down on these MacBook Airs? For example, I have a "last-gen" 13" MacBook Air with 2.0 GHz dual-core i7, but now the highest you can get is a 1.7 GHz dual-core i7. Is there someone change in Haswell that is causing this?

what does it matter? You realize that GHz isn't speed.. just frequency. Haswell cores are faster at a lower GHz than previous models. This gets you similar performance while using much less power.

#4 User is offline   MSFanboi 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:23 PM

grantmcconnaughey said:

Ur looking at base clock frequency, I imagine the turbo is the same. If you watched WDCC you will remember how they touted battery saving techniques with there wonderful, innovative maverick? well Microsoft has similar things in 8/8.1, but really its just software to take advantage of all the power saving features of haswell.

#5 User is offline   ooooskar 

• Pip

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:54 PM

grantmcconnaughey said:

I bet it has to do with Intel's pricing for the Haswell CPUs. If you look at http://en.wikipedia....bile_processors the price of the CPU used in the previous Macbook Air (1.7 GHz i5-3317U) cost $225 whereas for the new Haswell processors http://en.wikipedia....bile_processors price levels are much higher, and the 1.7 GHz i5-4650U would cost $454. Apple made a choice that keeping the $999 price for the Air is more important, and also the significant graphics performance improvements make more sense. As others commented the turbo on the 1.3 GHz is actually the same as the old 1.7 so for single-threaded performance the impact is not as big. I'd personally opt for the BTO upgrade to the 1.8 GHz though just to be a bit more future-proof.

#6 User is offline   rlav 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:39 AM

Interesting. Overall, it looks like a very worthwhile upgrade.

"Next from Macworld Lab: Battery life test results for the new MacBook Air, and a full review. Also coming up: A look at an ultimate configuration 2013 MacBook Air."

I'm really looking forward to those articles, as the ultimate-configuration model is what I have my eye on.

#7 User is offline   BetsyR 

• Pip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

I, too, am looking forward to the articles. Looking at the new models in the Apple Store yesterday, I was impressed by the Air screen. I am in the market for either a 13", more expensive rMPB or the half pound lighter Air and am waiting for the review(s).

I would like to know the differences between the Air's HD Graphics 5000 and rMPB's HD Graphics 4000.

#8 User is offline   Inkling 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:51 AM

Keep in mind that these new MBAs are intended to be used with the new OS that'll come out in the fall. I watched the WWDC video about those new features and they include a lot of clever tweaks that should improve CPU efficiency.

Perhaps more important is something I've yet to hear Apple comment on. Those new features should, to my untutored mind, make for an even greater battery life. The current 12 hours for the 13-inch model may jump to a solid 14 hours, particularly if users turn down the one power hog that can't be optimized, screen brightness.

This combination of Haswell with Mavericks appears to be so good that I may set aside my beloved but aging white MacBook and get the new MBA.

#9 User is offline   DocNo 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:05 AM

ooooskar said:

I bet it has to do with Intel's pricing

I'll bet it has more to do with higher MHz eating battery life than anything. Worst mistake I made was getting an i7 in my first Air. I don't do CPU intensive things on it and it needlessly cost me battery life and subjected me to obnoxious fan noise. Never again....

#10 User is offline   BrianM 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

grantmcconnaughey said:

It was mentioned somewhere, keynote, or a web page. By going with the lower clock speed, this helped extend battery life to hit the 9 & 12 hour marks, without much of a change in actual "work done" speed. So as someone else mentioned, the GHz doesn't really matter with other changes in the Haswell chips.

#11 User is offline   whitakerbainbridge 

• Pip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:48 AM

Does the new MBA work with Bootcamp?

#12 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

That's the price of the increased battery life. They compensated with improved graphics and i/o. So, there's an overall modest improvement in performance (~10%), but a big jump in battery life.

grantmcconnaughey said:

#13 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Well, it's still an Intel processor, so no reason to not work. Mind you, why use Bootcamp when Fusion and Parallels are available?

whitakerbainbridge said:

Does the new MBA work with Bootcamp?

#14 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:54 PM

You'll love the change. My better half made a similar upgrade last year and loves loves loves her Air.

Inkling said:

This combination of Haswell with Mavericks appears to be so good that I may set aside my beloved but aging white MacBook and get the new MBA.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users