Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mount a NTFS drive OS X 10.8.4

#1 User is offline   JimmyW 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:11 AM

I'm not a regular Mac user, but I'm learning as I go, as with the UNIX command shell. I have a 2TB drive that contains one NTFS partition. Mac will not recognize the drive when I attach it through USB. The system states that the disk is not readable. I have tried a few of the free disk mounters to no avail. The Mac can handle my USB thumb drives fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

View PostJimmyW, on 14 June 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

I'm not a regular Mac user, but I'm learning as I go, as with the UNIX command shell. I have a 2TB drive that contains one NTFS partition. Mac will not recognize the drive when I attach it through USB. The system states that the disk is not readable. I have tried a few of the free disk mounters to no avail. The Mac can handle my USB thumb drives fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

Have you tried mounting it on a Windows computer to see if it is readable there?

I ask because a Mac running 10.8.4 should be able to mount an NTFS drive just fine as read only with no extra software. So, I am wondering if it is an overall problem with the drive.

#3 User is offline   JimmyW 

• Pip

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:59 AM

View Postsmax013, on 15 June 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

Have you tried mounting it on a Windows computer to see if it is readable there?

I ask because a Mac running 10.8.4 should be able to mount an NTFS drive just fine as read only with no extra software. So, I am wondering if it is an overall problem with the drive.

Thanks. I think I discovered the problem. I partitioned the disk as GPT. I thought that OS X 10.4 and above could mount GPT disks, but it won't mount mine, unless I must do something differently.

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostJimmyW, on 15 June 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

View Postsmax013, on 15 June 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

Thanks. I think I discovered the problem. I partitioned the disk as GPT. I thought that OS X 10.4 and above could mount GPT disks, but it won't mount mine, unless I must do something differently.

The Mac OS definitely supports GPT for Mac formatted disks...in fact, if memory serves, you HAVE to use GPT formatted disks for Mac OS X bootable disks on Intel Macs.

I am beginning to suspect, however, that it may not like GPT with NTFS formats...although I cannot find anything definitive on this by way of a Google search. I did find a number of things that tend to suggest this to be the case. For example, this one post on the Apple forums:

https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

The fact that the person had to essentially go to a GPT/MBR "combo" drive to get the Mac to recognize the NTFS partition seems to suggest that the Mac OS has trouble with NTFS on a GPT disk.

#5 User is offline   Cristi 

• Pip

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

Hi Guys! OS X 10.8 on my Air reads external NTFS HDDs perfectly, there is a difficulty to write something on NTFS drives, but it can be solved using 3G and MacFUSE or Paragon NTFS for Mac.. Really can't imagine why there can be any troubles, maybe your HDD is broken? Test it under Windows, does it recognize your HDD?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users