Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:36 AM

It's "Control Center", not "... Panel"

#3 User is offline   Serenity 

• Staff Editor
  • Group: Macworld Editorial

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

bdlatimer said:

It's "Control Center", not "... Panel"

Whoops! This is why you don't write stories late at night. Fixed, and thank you. (I blame the old Mac OS from the confusion.)

#4 User is offline   bdlatimer 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

Heh - definitely a known, popular term ;-) Thanks for the quick correction.

Great article! It certainly seems that iOS 7 is going to be a huge advancement - "this fall" can't come soon enough!

#5 User is offline   macplusplus 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

First miss... ;-) People thought that it was a control panel where you access all the settings of the device.

It is not a "Control Center" either, and this name is worse than "Control Panel". The control center of the iPhone is the Settings application, not this panel.

This panel requires a more decent name, such as "Quick Settings" or "System Shortcuts".

It also requires a "More Settings..." button or an icon of the Settings application, otherwise novice users will never learn that there exists a Settings application and will think their settings are limited to those on that panel.

Stupid name.

#6 User is offline   iHailCaesar 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

No doubt an awesome update inbound, looking forward to all these features, especially Air Drop!! The look is also very refreshing too.

#7 User is offline   austinklee 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

Now if they will only allow you to quit all apps at the same time.

#8 User is offline   buddhistMonkey 

• Pip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:21 AM

My favorite "fixed" feature is multiple pages of apps within a folder. I have so many games that I have four folders filled with puzzles, and another four filled with action games. Same for graphics/camera apps and utilities. It will be nice to consolidate all of those folders down to just a couple.

#9 User is offline   mretondo 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

Why can't I just swipe left or right on the icon bar to scroll to see all my running apps and then tap on one to switch to it. Having to double tab the home button is such a waste of time if the icon bar is already showing.

#10 User is offline   toner86 

• Pip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

One thing that I wanted but didn't get was the ability to quickly replay to texts and possibly email's without leaving the app that your in. With the full multitasking that is allowed, it makes sense that it should be easy to do.

#11 User is offline   rogerowens 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:36 PM

Please help me convince Apple that there is a serious flaw in the implementation of Siri as it works now.

Here's the thing. Many if us do not have unlimited data plans or are unwilling to pay the high prices required to use Siri over 3G/4G.

Before Siri, I could place a call by using Voice Dialing. I still can as long as I disable Siri. I leave Cell Data off most of the time and like to leave Siri on most of the time since I almost always have WiFi available. But on the road, in my car, I obviously do not have WiFi. If I'm driving (or even if not), I have to turn off Siri or turn on Cell Data to use Voice Dialing. The controls to do either are buried too deep in Settings to be convenient or even safe.
Evidently, the young whipper-snappers at Apple think we all have cell data available all the time. If we all lived in metropolitan areas and were rich, that would be true, but most of us don't meet this requirement.

Apple needs to either teach Siri to handle Voice Dialing without being connected to the Internet or they need to make it easy to turn off Siri. It seems obvious to me that Siri should understand a command to simply turn off (and on) Siri!

Is this too much to ask?

Please
Help me get Apple's attention.
Thanks!

#12 User is offline   iBookinLA 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:16 PM

I haven't seen this noted on Macworld yet (but I might have missed it): In all of Apple's iOS 7 screenshots, the signal strength "bars" seem to be replaced by dots, and there's no carrier name (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) next to those dots. I've had a variety of Verizon phones over the years, and they ALWAYS had their name on the screen.

I wonder if the shipping version of iOS 7 will add the carrier name back to that top row.

#13 User is offline   lymond 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 01:52 PM

In the current Siri, you can say "Search Bing for xxxx" to have it directly search Bing, so I'm pretty sure that Siri in iOS 7 will allow "Search Google for xxx"

#14 User is offline   macplusplus 

• PipPip

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:19 PM

iBookinLA said:

I haven't seen this noted on Macworld yet (but I might have missed it): In all of Apple's iOS 7 screenshots, the signal strength "bars" seem to be replaced by dots, and there's no carrier name (Verizon, AT&T, etc.) next to those dots. I've had a variety of Verizon phones over the years, and they ALWAYS had their name on the screen. I wonder if the shipping version of iOS 7 will add the carrier name back to that top row.

Stupid omission indeed. The carrier name cannot be omitted. Let's make our remark and expect a correction if that's not just another idiosyncracy: function follows design....

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users