• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ten things I'm happy Apple fixed in iOS 7

#43 User is offline   lawrance 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:51 AM

I like most of the new design and features but I'm still not sold on the flat icons with all the detail removed. That feels like a step backwards to me.
The day Micro$oft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

#44 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

View Postscott721, on 17 June 2013 - 03:16 AM, said:

I await most of these features as well, but brightness control? That's been available for several versions by simply double-tapping the home button and sliding the app bar to the right.

Not on the iPhone, it hasn't. That's only been on the iPads. It is one of those inconsistencies between the iPad and the iPhone versions of iOS where something is available on one, but not the other, despite being from the same generation .

#45 User is offline   hayesk 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:14 AM

rogerowens said:

JDW said
Serenity, in your article you neglected to mention one critical point about AirDrop — Apple foolishly is excluding it from some iOS devices that aren't that old at all, such as the retinaiPad3: http://tinyurl.com/lk2ytqt Some say that this is due to the newest iOS devices having special WiFi hardware,

It's not speculation. It's true. When Apple added it to MacOS, many recent models could not use it either. It's a peer-to-peer mode that must be supported by the wifi card.

#46 User is offline   GregMcD 

• Pip

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:16 PM

Garryfre said:

I was hoping to see real fixed not just a rehash of the apple event. Among the "Fixes" I was hoping to see was the annoying Keyboard bugs and issues. Intermittent key-presses ignored as shown in many a youtube video. Inability to specify a shortcut to turn i into I so I don't have to manually capitalize I when referring to myself. When I delete a capitalized character the iPad wrongly assumes I want to capitalize the character I want to replace it with. Inconsistent spelling checker failing to underline spelling errors and then utterly failing. Example from a Facebook status I posted below from that I typed and pasted into the notes app where it should have flagged all the horrid mis spelled words below. I loved my iPad until the ridiculously fiddly keyboard behavior got under my skin. I would appreciate it if you would confine your fixes to fixing things that are broken not improvements that are at best nice at worst simply nominal changes or new features. Example post ... I bought a used iPad about two years ago and it has this tricky keyboard and the worst spell checker in existance. Often it doesn't flag miss-spells so I end up learning the wrong spelling. To make it check a word I have to tap it avout twenty times and then it won't catch it like it didn't catchh catchh misspelled here twice! Just now I was trying to spell "Apparently" I absolutely hate these kinds of words because I can't get it straight. I happened to spell it correctly and it didn't complain and so I had to tap it twenty times and then force it to check the spelling by hilighting it and checking via the menu and it said to spell it as apparretly which is rong wich it is noow fayling tu flagg anyy wurds herre beecawse itt has stawped working entirelee when yoo have more than wun missssspelled wurd. Not a single word is flagged as mis spelled in this entyre powst! I will nevur gett an ipad again.

Have you checked your configuration for "Check Spelling" and "Auto-Correction" under the General/Keyboard settings pane?

#47 User is offline   tatilsever 

• PipPip

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:38 PM

JDW said:

Serenity, in your article you neglected to mention one critical point about AirDrop — Apple foolishly is excluding it from some iOS devices that aren't that old at all, such as the retina iPad3: http://tinyurl.com/lk2ytqt Some say that this is due to the newest iOS devices having special WiFi hardware, but such is pure speculation because such arguments avoid giving the specific technical reasons why AirDrop won't work on the WiFi of say an iPad3. Good software design tries to work around problems and limitations in the hardware, but there is no evidence that Apple has done that.

There is also no evidence that Apple has not done that or whether it will add that feature later on (this is a beta after all) yet it did not stop you from calling the omission "foolish". If you don't know the reasons, it is best not to call names.

From the descriptions, it seems Air Drop will rely on peer to peer networking, which makes sense especially outdoors, outside a WiFi network, if you don't want to eat up your data plan. It is also possible it is relying on some new Bluetooth features to locate phones within range before establishing a peer to peer network. (I am told Samsung is relying on NFC to recognize the other devices in its bump to share feature.) Peer to peer networking has been an optional feature for WiFi devices for a long time, but it has been quite difficult to implement reliably and some of what is needed cannot be implemented at OS level. It needs to be done inside WiFi hardware. Some devices may indeed be out of luck in getting this to work. As a 4S owner, I hope not, but we'll see.

#48 User is offline   romad 

• PipPip

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

1. Can we DELETE unwanted OEM apps like Stocks, Game Center?

2. Can we DISABLE auto updates? I have not updated iBooks and iOS to the newest versions due to reported bugs, and I prefer to decide MYSELF when I update.

3. The new icons are downright ugly.

4. iOS 7 is NOT intuitive to first-time users so a good manual will be needed.

#49 User is offline   supremo68 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

SIRI is a backdoor to the iPhone, you can make it sms or dial without unlocking your phone :(

#50 User is offline   barlpa 

• Pip

Posted 19 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

romad said:

1. Can we DELETE unwanted OEM apps like Stocks, Game Center? 2. Can we DISABLE auto updates? I have not updated iBooks and iOS to the newest versions due to reported bugs, and I prefer to decide MYSELF when I update. 3. The new icons are downright ugly. 4. iOS 7 is NOT intuitive to first-time users so a good manual will be needed.

2. yes you can disable auto updates. Its in settings -> app store options.

#51 User is offline   Hamranhansenhansen 

• PipPip

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

Yes, 10 things are getting fixed in iOS 7, but 200 are getting broken. It’s not worth the time and trouble. It’s not worth wrecking your iPhone and iPad.

#52 User is offline   Hamranhansenhansen 

• PipPip

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

austinklee said:

Now if they will only allow you to quit all apps at the same time.

Why? There is no reason to do that.

#53 User is offline   Hamranhansenhansen 

• PipPip

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

bdlatimer said:

Heh - definitely a known, popular term ;-) Thanks for the quick correction. Great article! It certainly seems that iOS 7 is going to be a huge advancement - "this fall" can't come soon enough!

I would be interested to know if you feel the same after you run it, because I found it to be a terrible experience that made me commit to using 6.1 until at least iOS 8.

#54 User is offline   Hamranhansenhansen 

• PipPip

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

macplusplus said:

First miss... ;-) People thought that it was a control panel where you access all the settings of the device. It is not a "Control Center" either, and this name is worse than "Control Panel". The control center of the iPhone is the Settings application, not this panel. This panel requires a more decent name, such as "Quick Settings" or "System Shortcuts". It also requires a "More Settings..." button or an icon of the Settings application, otherwise novice users will never learn that there exists a Settings application and will think their settings are limited to those on that panel. Stupid name.

Notification Center does not have all your notifications. Control Center does not have all your settings. In both cases, like the name says, it just centralizes the most important ones.

Novice users don't want to use the Settings app. There is no need to concern troll about it.

#55 User is offline   Flameslicer 

• Pip

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

Something I noticed when reading this is that half of these features (yes I counted) have been around on android for some time now. I suppose we'll see if Apple executes them in a better way than Google did.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users