• Group: MW Bot

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:00 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: It's the little things here

#2 User is offline   KPOM 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

So the biggest problem with iOS 6 according to pundits is that it lacks features Android and Windows Phone have. iOS 7 adds those features and so now it's biggest problem is that it cuts out 3rd party developers. Go figure.

#3 User is offline   leicaman 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:25 AM

The stronger showing Apple makes, the stronger the stupid with the pundits following an Apple event.
Eric

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

#4 User is offline   bettercitizens 

• PipPip

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

"...and the design of the Mac Pro..."

It will be interesting to see the final Mac Pro and get some benchmarks when it is released. The price points will also be interesting along with how many Apple sells.

20Gbps Thunderbolt just is not as fast as internal PCIe. I wonder if that will be enough bandwidth or if there are too many Pros with edge cases that require internal PCIe slots? And only 4 RAM slots, why not 8, why not allow 256 GB of RAM?

This is going to be interesting...

#5 User is offline   davebarnes 

• PipPip

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:25 AM

"One piece decried the “feminization” of iOS 7"
Feminization is so close to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminazi
which means that Jony is a [censored].
Godwin's Law is so easy.
Dave Barnes
+1.303.744.9024
WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

#6 User is offline   webwielder 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:28 AM

Disappointed that the Macalope didn't dismantle this hatchet job: http://www.theverge....re-my-ass-apple

What's the matter, Mr. Lope? Don't have the antlers to take on the big boys?

#7 User is offline   TheMacalope 

• Mythical Beast
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:25 AM

webwielder said:

What's the matter, Mr. Lope? Don't have the antlers to take on the big boys?

The Verge is bigger than CNBC?

Truth be told, the Macalope didn't find Patel's piece all that offensive. He thinks Patel was off base in claiming no one was saying Apple couldn't innovate at all. At the very least a lot of pundits were loose enough with their words that it sounds like they were saying that. The thing Patel doesn't really address is the double standard he implies, that for Apple "innovation" means something entirely different than what it means for Apple's competitors. But the horny one's open to the argument that Schiller shouldn't have made the remark, depending on how it's made.

Anyway, it was a week rife with stupidity. Even this mythical beast can't get all of them. Besides, there's always next week.

#8 User is offline   doglesby 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

It's not a beta product. It's a developer preview. The objective is just to give developers something to target as they update their apps for iOS 7. I think too many people call these releases betas (as in, report any and all problems to us because we're about ready to ship).

#9 User is offline   bingethinker 

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:55 AM

KPOM said:

So the biggest problem with iOS 6 according to pundits is that it lacks features Android and Windows Phone have. iOS 7 adds those features and so now it's biggest problem is that it cuts out 3rd party developers. Go figure.

It's always fun to watch those losers straining themselves to move the goalposts. "iOS doesn't have this, or that, or that, or... what, they have that now?" (Scrambles down list of talking points.) Okay, they have that, but they don't have this, or these or...."

#10 User is offline   davmendels 

• Pip

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

webwielder said:

Disappointed that the Macalope didn't dismantle this hatchet job: http://www.theverge....re-my-ass-apple What's the matter, Mr. Lope? Don't have the antlers to take on the big boys?

I'm not sure Mr Lope still reads the Verge. I'm not sure their editors do, either...

#11 User is offline   webwielder 

• Pip

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:16 AM

I appreciate the Macalope's response. I would argue that, as the most widely respected mainstream tech site, The Verge is a bigger boy than places like CNBC and Forbes, which are shameless about hawking financial anal-cyst linkbait.

My biggest issue with Patel's piece is him lambasting Apple for failing to reinvent a product category in the last three years. He essentially said that Steve Jobs disrupted 5 industries every day before breakfast. Ripe for a good shellacking by the Macalope. But, he is only one half-Mac, half-woodland creature, so I'll cut him some slack. This time!!!

#12 User is offline   AdamC 

• PipPip

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:22 AM

davmendels said:

webwielder said
Disappointed that the Macalope didn't dismantle this hatchet job: http://www.theverge....re-my-ass-apple What's the matter, Mr. Lope? Don't have the antlers to take on the big boys? I'm not sure Mr Lope still reads the Verge. I'm not sure their editors do, either...

But what is the Verge, it is more of a his master voice pet and the biggest doggie is its editor.

#13 User is offline   Dennistrator 

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:06 AM

One piece decried the “feminization” of iOS 7, saying that “the icons practically ooze estrogen.”
Well, that's an insult to only one half of the human race. I personally have great respect for the estrogen-based gender. I wonder about the prospects of the author of those comments in dealing favorably with contingents of that group in the near future.

#14 User is offline   Dennistrator 

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:40 AM

leicaman said:

The stronger showing Apple makes, the stronger the stupid with the pundits following an Apple event.

The faster you drive, the more bugs splatter on your windshield.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users