Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fan came on at high speed

#1 User is offline   schuske 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:30 AM

iMac 20" white Intel. While surfing this morning, the fan came on at high speed for about 40 seconds. This has never happened before. Am I going to die? Or is this just a response to NSA snooping?

#2 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:31 PM

View Postschuske, on 15 June 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

iMac 20" white Intel. While surfing this morning, the fan came on at high speed for about 40 seconds. This has never happened before. Am I going to die? Or is this just a response to NSA snooping?

Could have just been something in Safari / Firefox with Adobe Flash files (animation/video) that kicked the fan into overdrive for a bit to cool things down.

Through the Activity Monitor utility you can keep an eye on the busiest processes on your system. Most likely you would have seen Safari or Web Process / Content using a lot of CPU power (which can be more than 100% on a multi-core system)

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

View Posticerabbit, on 16 June 2013 - 02:31 PM, said:

View Postschuske, on 15 June 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

Could have just been something in Safari / Firefox with Adobe Flash files (animation/video) that kicked the fan into overdrive for a bit to cool things down.

Through the Activity Monitor utility you can keep an eye on the busiest processes on your system. Most likely you would have seen Safari or Web Process / Content using a lot of CPU power (which can be more than 100% on a multi-core system)

I agree. Just like some stupid ad or something of that nature running on a webpage likely using Flash.

FWIW, my fans kick on all the time when running browsers (it does help that I tend to have at least a dozen browser windows/tabs open at time, if not more...way more sometimes...as well as other programs to boot...so odds are there is usually some stupid Flash or other animation thing running at any given time).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users