Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iOS 7's new design is its least exciting feature - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iOS 7's new design is its least exciting feature

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

Post your comments for iOS 7's new design is its least exciting feature here

#2 User is offline   macFanDave 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 07:48 AM

I wish the Control Center itself was customizable. I don't care about Bluetooth, but I'd like to be able to toggle "Show My Caller ID" on and off with one button click.

#3 User is offline   Winningattitude 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:16 AM

I actually like the new minimalist style of the new IOS 7 ..........I actually love it. The only thing I wish is they would add a color palette for messages so we have the choice of making it appear the way we wish, as in osx. I have read many review of people not liking the new style but I wonder if its tech writers or the public's view being represented.

#4 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostMacworld, on 20 June 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

The new icons and styling are a big problem for me. On one hand I'd like all the functional updates in iOS 7 and on the other hand I want none of the GUI updates. If I wanted something flat, I'd have gone with some product running something from MS or Google. But, I didn't want that. I picked Apple which has always focused on rich content and styling, with richer, higher resolution icons; and have several of their mobile devices, initial releases and refreshes.

Now we're getting single color icons on single color backgrounds as if we're back in 1990. Oh, and we can do opaque now. Never mind there are people who have physical issues with transparency effects and other opaque stuff. It gives me a eyestrain (and severe headaches if it is prolonged like a 3dmovie (avatar)) because my brain wants things focused. And, we can move the background as if you were looking through a window and the background is an inch behind the screen. Ok, that's a cool effect for 5 secs and then a waste of resources.

So, can we have an option for opaque on/off and parallax on/off?

I can agree that some of the rich corinthian leather etc accents were maybe non-funtional, old fashioned, whatever, but you know what, you knew in which app you were. Now you get a sea of white. Boring. Bland. Depressing.

And without offering bigger screens, by taking headers and borders out, it also seems like Apple is throwing usability out the window when it comes to taking away borders, digital cues, hiding elements, using thin line icons, thinner fonts, lower contrast between text and elements ... which for the public at large may pose hurdles. I've been blessed with great visual acuity and used so much tech in my life that it would need to be really foreign before I'm stumped; but not everybody sees things so clearly and not everybody was born with tech in their hand. Plenty of older people take a lot harder to new operating systems, new programs, visual changes, elements that are rearranged, ... that it really seems a step in the wrong direction. Apple took the whole skeuomorphism criticism bandwagon from some people who bore too easily, a bit too personal and went too far, throwing their own rules and guidelines into the wind.

Queue a small choir "if you don't like what you see, you don't have to update to iOS7". That's hardly fair is it? As heavily invested people are in their idevices and apps/software, the latter which likely will require iOS7 before too long to take advantage of new apis, ...

This post has been edited by icerabbit: 20 June 2013 - 08:50 AM

#5 User is offline   snagitseven 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

I just hope they provide some customization to improve the white text on light backgrounds for those of us with aging eyes. That's my biggest gripe with IOS Maps - Google Map does a much better job of displaying the smaller roads and streets.

#6 User is offline   kylecronin 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:55 AM

You might not care what iOS looks like, but I do. I use my phone a lot, and how it looks is very important to me. I've even been known to use (or not to use) an app because of how its icon looks. There are so many bad icons currently in iOS 7 that the thought of installing it invokes a sense of dread in me.

I do have hope that this very public backlash against iOS 7 may influence Apple to rework the visual style of the OS, but if past experience is any indication we're probably stuck with the garish colors and too-big circles until at least iOS 8. What a pity.

#7 User is offline   kylecronin 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:00 AM

icerabbit said:

So, can we have an option for opaque on/off and parallax on/off?

There isn't an option for the opaque overlays, but fortunately there is one for the parallax:

Settings > General > Accessibility > Reduce Motion

#8 User is offline   macplusplus 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:02 AM

Actually it gets even more skeuomorphic but in the worst way with that Windows Vista AeroGlass skeuomorph. That plastic looking ridiculous transparency...

Microsoft had already dumped it. What did they you expect to find in someone else's trash?...

#9 User is offline   Jaligard 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:14 AM

I just wish Jonny Ive hadn't skipped the design classes on contrast. He can make it as simple as he likes, but if I can't read the words, what good is it?

A sea of white for all my apps? I'd rather kill virtual cows.

Give me a readable font. Give me borders. Give me contrast.

You can keep the dumb icons, I just want it to be usable for now.

#10 User is offline   macplusplus 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:40 AM

"Mediocre multitasking" is not an annoyance of iOS, it is an annoyance of today's battery technology.

Remember, other phones get bigger and bigger just because they need bigger battery, not because everyone loves "big".

If an application ignores saving its state between quits, is this iOS' fault? There was nothing wrong with the multitasking implementation of iOS 6.

Meanwhile I trust on Apple's software engineering quality and I believe they really come this time with a solution that everyone will love, without compromising battery.

#11 User is offline   jorgecobas32 

• Pip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:58 AM

What they should do is give us options on how we want to customize it, I'm an iphone guy and i love iOS over Android but Android is getting my attention lately with all the freedom i have, i can even customize the background of messages with any picture i like, and thats where apple is getting hardheaded they need to give options to the customers, if one guy one to have the old icons colors let them have it if not give him the new colors, We want options and we want to have our phone the way we like no the way an apple designer wants. Thats my opinion and i hope they figure it out before is to late.

#12 User is offline   SockRolid 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

Re: "Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that iOS 7’s changes are only skin (or screen) deep."

It will require extremely deep changes for developers.
As in "total redesign" in Xcode storyboards.
Excited to start that work while dreading it at the same time.

#13 User is offline   SockRolid 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:31 AM

Android users: "Ha ha. You don't have true multitasking."
iOS 7 users: "Ha ha. True multitasking here. And no task killer apps."

#14 User is offline   SockRolid 

• PipPip

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

icerabbit said:

The new icons and styling are a big problem for me

De gustibus non est disputandum.
(In matters of taste, there is no dispute.)
- Old Latin proverb, still true today

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users