Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: iOS 7's new design is its least exciting feature - Macworld Forums

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

iOS 7's new design is its least exciting feature

#29 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

View Postpatriotusa, on 21 June 2013 - 06:18 AM, said:

Yahoo's latest weather app already shows off many of the iOS7 features. It's design received great reviews when it debuted a couple of months ago. I suggest those that have worries download the free app and try it out. I think most of your concerns will be allayed. I for one am happy that the UI is starting to look more modern. When you see depictions of future UI interfaces in movies like Star Trek and games like Mass Effect, you don't see much green felt or faux leather stitching.

I just had a look at that. Nice minimalist attempt. It is like a combination of several weather widgets. Offers far more weather than Apple's weather app, but I find it lacking in options & features compared to some other top weather apps.

And, when it comes to the images it pulls from Flickr. Somebody ought to curate what it pulls in. For my area it grabs a daytime shot of an abandoned / derelict looking factory along the river. Hardly something representative for a green vacation state. I see no option to change it. Next day the photo was back again.

Personally, I'd rather see them fade to black to present the weather info rather than somewhat opaque. I like the transition. I'd just go darker for better contrast and less visual distraction.

#30 User is offline   McFAN 

• Pip

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:49 AM

Ugly garish colors . . . if I wanted that in my OS . . . I could buy a SURFACE . . . too bad design was buried with Steve.

#31 User is offline   alanskyone 

• PipPip

Posted 24 June 2013 - 08:44 AM

Small, thin, white text on a light blue background is the worst choice the designers of iOS 7 could possibly have made from the standpoint of legibility. I predict that some users won't be able to read the iPhone screen at all in bright sunlight. I call the new "look" a monumental flop—unless you're a 13-year-old girl, in which case you'll love it (even if you can't read it).

#32 User is offline   clreply 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Still not quick access to Location Services in Control Panel!? WTF Apple!?

#33 User is offline   TimothyA 

• PipPip

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

macplusplus said:

Actually it gets even more skeuomorphic but in the worst way with that Windows Vista AeroGlass skeuomorph. That plastic looking ridiculous transparency...

Yeah, it's funny that Apple trumpeted the end of skeuomorphism while at the same time increasing transparency throughout the interface, which is itself a form of skeuomorphism, a type that simulates transparent materials like glass and plastic.

#34 User is offline   macplusplus 

• PipPip

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

patriotusa said:

Yahoo's latest weather app already shows off many of the iOS7 features. It's design received great reviews when it debuted a couple of months ago. I suggest those that have worries download the free app and try it out. I think most of your concerns will be allayed. I for one am happy that the UI is starting to look more modern. When you see depictions of future UI interfaces in movies like Star Trek and games like Mass Effect, you don't see much green felt or faux leather stitching.

Mainstream games in majority have finely worked out, elegant interfaces, obviously they wouldn't sell otherwise. But games are a different realm. We are talking about a commodity device which wouldn't require the skills of an expert gamer to use it. There is nothing wrong in making an interface look more modern, either. I have difficulties in associating pre-graphic, Lynx style text-only borderless "buttons" with any idea of modernism, however...

#35 User is offline   macplusplus 

• PipPip

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

stimarco said:

... And no, Microsoft didn't "invent" this style; Gruber's "Daring Fireball" had a typography-led interface long before Windows 8 appeared. We're all now very used to seeing differently coloured words and phrases in web content to denote clickable links; no chunky boxes around clickable items are necessary today. We get it now. iOS 7 is moving towards a simplified Web-based aesthetic, rather than a physical or mechanical one...

Using hypertext links as "buttons" is just a bad design practice. Links should look like links and should lead the user from some content to some other content. Buttons should look like buttons and trigger functions... Otherwise let go back to Lynx...

This is just that similarity of iOS 7 UI with ordinary blog pages that requires more work. Not every iOS user is a blog reader, even if they read at all...

If the point is to rewrite the established rules of half a century of human-computer interaction, then one Sir isn't enough, you cannot to that even if you hire the whole Order of the British Empire...

#36 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

View Poststimarco, on 21 June 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

To those complaining about the Home page icons: it's a *developer preview*! Technically, this isn't even at the 'beta' stage yet, so no, those are NOT the final icons. Chances are, they were thrown together specifically for the WWDC presentation simply in order to get rid of the old ones.

Also, it's clear from said WWDC keynote that the top brass aren't quite as anal about getting everything completely 100% polished before showing it off. There were a lot of fluffs and flubbed lines ("six Firewire ports!" on the new Mac Pro? Accurate memory, my ass!) This is a post-Jobs Apple. They're all learning to ride the bike themselves; a few are going to fall off. It's worth noting how Tim Cook acts as an emcee now, handing over the meat of each topic to other speakers, rather than trying to do it all himself, for example.

We know from seeing over 15 years of his designs that Jony Ive is a massive fan of Braun and minimalism. iOS 7's pared-down look is therefore hardly a massive shock.

And no, Microsoft didn't "invent" this style; Gruber's "Daring Fireball" had a typography-led interface long before Windows 8 appeared. We're all now very used to seeing differently coloured words and phrases in web content to denote clickable links; no chunky boxes around clickable items are necessary today. We get it now. iOS 7 is moving towards a simplified Web-based aesthetic, rather than a physical or mechanical one.

@jorgecobas32: Every option requires data. All those button and stitched leather graphics need to be stored somewhere. If you want lots of alternative UI 'skins', you need to download them all and store them on your iDevice. You also need to *test* them, so you're adding more work for very little benefit.

Watch this: http://www.apple.com...igned-by-apple/

If you still insist that Apple should focus on abundance and pretend it counts as 'choice', you're buying from the wrong company. Buy an Android device. You'll get no end of utterly meaningless, pointless and time-wasting "choices" there.

Actually, the big wigs on stage were pointing out some of the differences and details, plus Apple wouldn't come out with alfas and betas for their icons, so they are the new look.

There have been plenty of minimalist websites, and some pretty bold alternative web interfaces too, some of them fairly successful; but that doesn't mean I want my iPhone and iPad to look like some blog theme experiment.

Some say recent Microsoft products are refreshing and successful too. Vast areas of fixed color, pictogram icons, hidden controls, ...

The constantly evolving gmail is a fantastic example of that decreased interface & usability too. Instead of focusing on some feature request, they just keep rearranging the decor and moving the furniture around.

I like minimalist to some extent, the extent where it becomes change for the sake of change, reduces readability, removes features and gets in the way of getting things done.

Don't hide controls and require a certain swipe while clicking my heels which works in one app or iOS version, but not another. Not intuitive and consistent enough. Coming from a funny moment at the Apple store, not too long ago, where one young geek was kind enough to point one of those gestures like a 4 finger swipe or something, and I replied, now how do I do that with my mouse? You mean you have an Apple computer, but you don't have an Apple trackpad? LOL.

#37 User is offline   crumbled 

• Pip

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:37 AM

macplusplus said:

Not every iOS user is a blog reader, even if they read at all...

Maybe someone should tell the folks at Apple that. They don't seem to know this. They think we're all on the Social Networking wagon.

I think some of the elements are a good idea. I like the idea of having easier access to controls. What bugs me most about this new look is the busy way they implemented it. It does not look or feel simpler. It looks and feels distracting. Transparency is going to show everything that moves, glows, whatever behind it. The iMessages looks annoying the way the messages float up from behind the transparent/floating keyboard. These elements are not necessary. They're tacky. I may be a minority, but I prefer my environment less... garish.

I'm also not sure how I feel about true multitasking. The productive part of me likes the idea. Yet the practical side wonders how this will effect my battery life. I have to ask, which is more important?

I guess we'll cross that bridge in the fall. I am very curious to see how it pans out.

#38 User is offline   mediagiant 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:15 AM

So I am a PC and Android phone user. For the holidays, I was given an iPad Mini as a company gift (the owner of my small company gave all of us employees the same thing), and I use it a lot. I might have been happier with the Google Nexus 7 for much less or the Google Nexus 10 for the same price, but we occasionally use FaceTime to talk to each other for work.

I also saw the advantages of this device for taking notes during lectures at my night classes in graduate school -- long battery life, small physical footprint, etc. I bought the ZAGG Mini Keys 9 for it, and it makes a nifty mini laptop.

I agree the multitasking features will be very useful, but would it kill Apple to enable mousing? Why not allow users to operate an iPad with a touchpad or mouse if they want to? Perhaps Apple is worried about cannibalizing its Mac business and is deliberately limiting iOS in that regard.

But now, with real multitasking, HDMI out, and excellent apps like iWork, I could get real work done on my iPad Mini. It's plenty powerful. Not being able to mouse without jailbreaking the device is a severe limitation. Would it really be that much work for Apple to implement what hackers have already done?

#39 User is offline   slm21 

• Pip

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:03 AM

mediagiant said:

So I am a PC and Android phone user. For the holidays, I was given an iPad Mini as a company gift (the owner of my small company gave all of us employees the same thing), and I use it a lot. I might have been happier with the Google Nexus 7 for much less or the Google Nexus 10 for the same price, but we occasionally use FaceTime to talk to each other for work. I also saw the advantages of this device for taking notes during lectures at my night classes in graduate school -- long battery life, small physical footprint, etc. I bought the ZAGG Mini Keys 9 for it, and it makes a nifty mini laptop. I agree the multitasking features will be very useful, but would it kill Apple to enable mousing? Why not allow users to operate an iPad with a touchpad or mouse if they want to? Perhaps Apple is worried about cannibalizing its Mac business and is deliberately limiting iOS in that regard. But now, with real multitasking, HDMI out, and excellent apps like iWork, I could get real work done on my iPad Mini. It's plenty powerful. Not being able to mouse without jailbreaking the device is a severe limitation. Would it really be that much work for Apple to implement what hackers have already done?

#40 User is offline   slm21 

• Pip

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

Mouse is dead. I have a macbook - never use mouse.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users