Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Bye-bye, Google Reader: Alternative RSS solutions for Mac and iOS users - Macworld Forums

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bye-bye, Google Reader: Alternative RSS solutions for Mac and iOS users

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

Post your comments for Bye-bye, Google Reader: Alternative RSS solutions for Mac and iOS users here

#2 User is offline   MacUKNW 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

I've tried them all, really tried to like Feedly, but keep coming back to NetNewsWire 3.1.6b1, simple basic, no adverts, and IT WORKS !!!!!

I DON'T LIKE THE NEW NNW v4

#3 User is offline   bradbelltv 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:25 AM

I love NetNewsWire too. I was assuming I would use the Feedly back end and NNW on Mac and iPhone to read. As of 10 minutes ago, I have begun to rethink this plan as NNW is now blank. HELLO hello ello lo lo. hmmn.

#4 User is offline   JimPhynn 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:31 AM

This might sound like a really stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. If there is such a thing as the opposite of a power user of RSS, it's me. The only reason why I even have a google reader account for my (very minimal) RSS usage is because the RSS apps I've downloaded to my computer (I don't do RSS on any other devices) appeared to require it. (This being after Safari and Mail ceased to be RSS readers).

So what's important to me is that the URL's of the feeds that I follow, are known by those apps. Even though I imported the feeds through Google Reader, I'm not going to lose them on July 1, am I?

I'm quite happy with a free app called Reeder that I got from the App Store.

#5 User is offline   Trynemjoel 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:30 AM

JimPhynn said:

This might sound like a really stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway. If there is such a thing as the opposite of a power user of RSS, it's me. The only reason why I even have a google reader account for my (very minimal) RSS usage is because the RSS apps I've downloaded to my computer (I don't do RSS on any other devices) appeared to require it. (This being after Safari and Mail ceased to be RSS readers). So what's important to me is that the URL's of the feeds that I follow, are known by those apps. Even though I imported the feeds through Google Reader, I'm not going to lose them on July 1, am I? I'm quite happy with a free app called Reeder that I got from the App Store.

Reeder uses Google Reader, so on July 1 it will no longer be updating your RSS-feeds, because the service it talks to is shut down. The iPad and Mac version of the app is free because they are undergoing redesign with support for among others, Feedly, which the iPhone app already has undergone.

It will be a bumpy ride going forward with a lot of services sufacing in Google Reader's absense, but with little app-support for any one service in particular, till developers center themselves around a particular set and the rest die off.

#6 User is offline   spotthehall 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:45 AM

I'm not really concerned with Google's opting out of the RSS business,I've been using Pulp for a while now, syncing via iCloud, but since that is no longer supported I've looked around for another that syncs across my devices using iCloud and I must say NewsBar works very nicely. Only downside is the iPad uses the iPhone app, still it still works fine.

#7 User is offline   bazaarsoft 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

This has been my experience as well. Another issue with Feed Wrangler is that it is absolutely FULL of bugs - both the web site, the backend, and the iOS apps. Very disappointed.

#8 User is offline   VancouverYogi 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

I ended up going with Feedly. I like the interface on both Mac (Chrome and Safari plugins) and iOS and already have the option of using this service with Mr. Reader. I believe Reeder will be supported soon as well.

Feedly are already talking about having a premium option - perhaps it will end up being an ad-free experience with some extra bells and whistles. In any case, given that this is one of the few free solutions out there I'm sure they're attracting a significant number of users…and that a percentage of these (likely myself included) will opt to pay for a premium service if/when it's offered.

#9 User is offline   JohnnyO 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

I started using Feedly a couple of days ago. While different than Google Reader, the Web interface looks good to me. My iOS client of choice, Byline, will be supporting the Feedly back-end syncing with their next release.

#10 User is offline   MacFoLife 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

Try Waurb if anyone is looking for an out of the box alternative. http://www.waurb.com

#11 User is offline   spielbrot 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:19 AM

I am using Flipboard on my iPad. Any news what ever services they will support?

#12 User is offline   cphoffman42 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:25 AM

I'm really disappointed by the news the Reeder will not have iPad or Mac versions ready before Google Reader is shut down. When the shut down was first announce, they came out and said, "Hey, don't worry, we'll have a new version up in plenty of time." So, trusting them, I didn't worry. Now they've got up a post saying, "Oh, guess we won't. Our bad." So, I guess I'll temporarily use Feedly since the import was easy, and then maybe switch to something else later. Urgh.

#13 User is offline   raphaeladidas 

• Pip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

I've investigated many, many Reader replacements since the retirement is announced and didn't care for any of them until I discovered InoReader. I think it has it all over the others but I never see it mentioned in articles like this.

#14 User is offline   bpeacock22 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:20 PM

I'm a Reeder fan and have spent money on their cross-platform apps, so I'd hate to lose them. An update today said he's got Feedly for the iphone version but Mac and iPad are coming along slower. I wish he'd consider stand-alone support with cross-app syncing.

Until that's back up where it'll work for me, I am going to give Twitter Lists a try as a "modern RSS". I've been comparing my Google Reader feed with the stories I get on a Twitter list and they are lining up perfectly. And having been a recent convert to Tweetbot, I think this will be a successful alternative.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users