Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Setting up Synology NAS Connecting NAS, a few Macs, and a router

#1 User is offline   jonsm 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:29 AM

Hi, I've got a NAS that I need to set up and I'm new to the NAS world (Synology DS412+, specs here: http://www.synology....412%2B&lang=enu). It originally looked like I was going to be setting up a wireless network with a few Macs. Now the big boss just wants ethernet going back to the router. There is no server on the network. This one has 3 USB ports, an eSata and 2 LAN. Can I plug this into the router and access it from the other Macs? If not, can I connect it to one of the Macs and access it via the other Macs? What configuration would you suggest. Thanks in advance!

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

View Postjonsm, on 27 June 2013 - 06:29 AM, said:

Hi, I've got a NAS that I need to set up and I'm new to the NAS world (Synology DS412+, specs here: http://www.synology....412%2B&lang=enu). It originally looked like I was going to be setting up a wireless network with a few Macs. Now the big boss just wants ethernet going back to the router. There is no server on the network. This one has 3 USB ports, an eSata and 2 LAN. Can I plug this into the router and access it from the other Macs? If not, can I connect it to one of the Macs and access it via the other Macs? What configuration would you suggest. Thanks in advance!

All devices (both Macs and the NAS) will connect to the router's ethernet LAN ports. If there are not enough LAN ports on the router, then you can get an ethernet switch (not another router) that connects to one of the LAN ports...this essentially "adds" more ports to the router.

In essence, a NAS device is basically a server. They are basically somewhat "simple" computers (some NAS devices are actually running a version of Linux for their OS).

Once you get all the devices connected to the router, you may need to install some Synology software on at least one of the Macs, but maybe all of them. I know that for my Netgear ReadyNAS, I have some minor Netgear software that is installed to monitor the NAS and also to help "initiate" a browser window to configure the NAS. You do not really need that software for typically file access connections as you will just use the AFP protocol for Macs and the SMB protocol for Windows. There does appear to be a Synology Assistant that you will likely at least need to install on the computer that you use to configure the NAS. There are some other few other programs it looks like that you may or may not install depending on if you are using those features (i.e. the Cloud Station and PhotoStation Uploader and Evidence Integrity Authenticator.

FWIW, have you looked at the Quick Installation Guide and/or the User's Manual. The Quick Installation Guide seems to be rather straight forward...I took a peek at it on their website. If you have questions are you go a long, I likely can open up either document to see if I can help.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users