Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: looking for a cheeper program than QuickBooks for mac - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

looking for a cheeper program than QuickBooks for mac

#1 User is offline   dmfett 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:48 PM

I wonder if there is a program out there that does the same thing that QuickBooks for Mac 2013 does and is cheeper.

I've been using their product that was called the Quick Book Pro 6 for my old Cube (stills work well today) on OS 9.2 and has worked great but it's time to migrate up to my latest new Mac on OS 10.8.3

My new upgrade price is $199.00 but would like to save $$$$

Any help on this one

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:47 PM

View Postdmfett, on 27 June 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

I wonder if there is a program out there that does the same thing that QuickBooks for Mac 2013 does and is cheeper.

I've been using their product that was called the Quick Book Pro 6 for my old Cube (stills work well today) on OS 9.2 and has worked great but it's time to migrate up to my latest new Mac on OS 10.8.3

Any help on this one

You might look at this article:

http://www.macworld....ong-choice.html

While the article itself does not offer much in the way of alternatives (other than Quickbooks Online or running the Windows version in a VM that is running Windows), there are a number of comments that talks some about alternatives.

Another possible option is Billings/Billings Pro. I use it purely for invoices for my consulting. It might not be powerful enough for your use. Plus, they just scrapped the "stand alone" program and are forcing everyone to their subscription model (subscription models piss me off). So, I suspect it likely will not do what you need it to do, but you still might look at it. Before they killed it (and left me hanging), I did like the stand alone program (they are continuing support through 2014, but it appear you are screwed if you bought it through the App Store like I did).

#3 User is offline   dmfett 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

Thanks for the input...I was hoping for a program that was less money and did the same thing and NO subscriptions..

View Postsmax013, on 27 June 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

View Postdmfett, on 27 June 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Any help on this one

You might look at this article:

http://www.macworld....ong-choice.html

While the article itself does not offer much in the way of alternatives (other than Quickbooks Online or running the Windows version in a VM that is running Windows), there are a number of comments that talks some about alternatives.

Another possible option is Billings/Billings Pro. I use it purely for invoices for my consulting. It might not be powerful enough for your use. Plus, they just scrapped the "stand alone" program and are forcing everyone to their subscription model (subscription models piss me off). So, I suspect it likely will not do what you need it to do, but you still might look at it. Before they killed it (and left me hanging), I did like the stand alone program (they are continuing support through 2014, but it appear you are screwed if you bought it through the App Store like I did).

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

View Postdmfett, on 27 June 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Thanks for the input...I was hoping for a program that was less money and did the same thing and NO subscriptions..

Did you look down in the comment section for mentions of other Mac options?

There is AccountEdge. The Pro version is in the same price point range as QuickBooks, but the Basic version is only $100. The Basic version may not have all the features that you need, however.

http://www.macworld....accounting.html

http://www.macworld....ws-its-age.html

There is MoneyWorks. They have a version that is $99, but it may not do what you need it to do. The next version jumps to $250.

http://www.cognito.co.nz/buy/new.html

I found a few other small ones that many note have the features you want/need. One is iBiz, which is available through the App Store. Mainly is for invoicing, etc. Another one through the App Store is Accounted. Again, these might not do what you need them to do.

At the end of the day, you might be stuck in the same price range as QuickBooks to get the features that you want if you need full QuickBooks level functionality.

#5 User is offline   dmfett 

• PipPip

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:40 PM

I will check all of those outfit you listed. I appreciate you taking the time to look and find an answer for me. This is one area that I have not paid attention to since the last OS 9.2.

It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the upgrade from that that I got back in the cube days. Thanks for the information but I'm still gonna check everything out that you said it's well worth the time and effort.

View Postsmax013, on 27 June 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

View Postdmfett, on 27 June 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Did you look down in the comment section for mentions of other Mac options?

There is AccountEdge. The Pro version is in the same price point range as QuickBooks, but the Basic version is only $100. The Basic version may not have all the features that you need, however.

http://www.macworld....accounting.html

http://www.macworld....ws-its-age.html

There is MoneyWorks. They have a version that is $99, but it may not do what you need it to do. The next version jumps to $250.

http://www.cognito.co.nz/buy/new.html

I found a few other small ones that many note have the features you want/need. One is iBiz, which is available through the App Store. Mainly is for invoicing, etc. Another one through the App Store is Accounted. Again, these might not do what you need them to do.

At the end of the day, you might be stuck in the same price range as QuickBooks to get the features that you want if you need full QuickBooks level functionality.

#6 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:04 AM

View Postdmfett, on 27 June 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

I will check all of those outfit you listed. I appreciate you taking the time to look and find an answer for me. This is one area that I have not paid attention to since the last OS 9.2.

It looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the upgrade from that that I got back in the cube days. Thanks for the information but I'm still gonna check everything out that you said it's well worth the time and effort.

QuickBooks for Mac 2013 is a little under $150 at Amazon. Unless you're in the tiny group of people that refuses to do business with them (like me), there's more than 25% off right there.

Out of curiosity, how much do you value your time and how much time have you already spent looking for ways to cut down the price on your accounting software?

This post has been edited by bastion: 28 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

#7 User is offline   dmfett 

• PipPip

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

We have a small home business the last 20 years (no employees) and the software really worked well for logging sales and items and end of the years totals...I will get it from the company for $199.00 but I like the $150.00 price much better. Aside from all my video and photography editing software, it's most expensive software that I have on my Mac. But it looks like I will have to get the new up date...

View Postbastion, on 28 June 2013 - 02:04 AM, said:

View Postdmfett, on 27 June 2013 - 07:40 PM, said:

QuickBooks for Mac 2013 is a little under $150 at Amazon. Unless you're in the tiny group of people that refuses to do business with them (like me), there's more than 25% off right there.

Out of curiosity, how much do you value your time and how much time have you already spent looking for ways to cut down the price on your accounting software?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users