• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:00 AM

Post your comments for The Macalope Weekly: Dubious conclusions here

#2 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:51 AM

Well, all I can say about the ad is what the ad itself also says... "Does it have the right to exist?"...

Damn that was bad!
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#3 User is offline   RipRagged 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

Dear Mr. 'Lope,

While this column achieves the usual rich, robust blend of humor and insight, might I suggest in the future saving commentary related to Tim Cook's package for later in the presentation. I'm not going to spend any column inches belaboring all the opportunities cheap humor.

I accept cash, checks, all major credit cards, and non-perishable foodstuffs.

Thank you.

#4 User is offline   RipRagged 

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

That would be opportunities FOR cheap humor. I definitely need a proofreader.

#5 User is offline   Rogifan 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:40 AM

It still blows my mind that Apple kept quite for so long allowing the media and competitors to basically define them. If you don't counter perception eventually it can become reality in the minds of the general public. Apple needs to start fighting back. But this new ad campagn should have been launched 6 months ago, not now. Now they just look defensive.

Also since Apple knew the first half of the year was going to be dry product wise they needed to work that much harder to control the narrative. Instead they stayed quiet allowing the media to push the narrative that they can't innovate, are out of ideas and a lost rudderless ship without Steve Jobs. Perhaps Phil Schiller needs the boot or they need to bring someone in who is better with marketing & PR. Let Schiller focus on other things like some of Apple's neglected software applications.

#6 User is offline   GadgetGav 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

"Fluoridation in our drinking water"
Haha! Been listening to Unprofessional much? ;)

#7 User is offline   palane 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2013 - 07:52 AM

It rather blows my mind that you think Apple has let media and competitors basically define them. Above all else, Apple is defined by its products. You know, the ones that sell like hotcakes.

#8 User is offline   KrasniOktabr 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

It's an abysmal shame that we require a constant flow of "stuff" to keep ourselves happy. If nothing else, Macalope articles serve to remind us that a good portion of the adult populace are just spoiled children.

#9 User is offline   JustAdComics 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

KrasniOktabr said:

It's an abysmal shame that we require a constant flow of "stuff" to keep ourselves happy. If nothing else, Macalope articles serve to remind us that a good portion of the adult populace are just spoiled children.

Not necessarily a good portion of the adult populace; more like a good portion of tech writers, bloggers, pundits, analysts.

#10 User is offline   Dennistrator 

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for the Saturday morning merriment. I appreciate your early morning efforts that brighten my day. Thanks especially for that nugget from Scott Davis, "with Apple signaling is everything". Just a step above typing words at random. I had a good laugh.

#11 User is offline   dolph0291 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

I bet you have "(no link for Forbes)" as a shortcut in Text Expander.

#12 User is offline   Dennistrator 

Posted 29 June 2013 - 11:13 AM

GadgetGav said:

"Fluoridation in our drinking water" Haha! Been listening to Unprofessional much?

Or watching Dr. Strangelove?

#13 User is offline   ProfCarter 

• PipPip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 12:42 PM

When the announcement about Tim's compensation package was made, was there any detail about how "Apple's performance" would actually be measured?

So many people look at current stock price as a measure, but that can be so "up and down". Please remember that more than a few people have done some questionable things to make stock go up so they can grab their billions and run before it comes back down to reality.

I would think that some kind of moving average on stock value would be a good component of a really useful measure. So the obvious question is over how long a period? 3 months? 6? 12? 24? I would also think that year-over-year sales growth, margin rates, and cash-on-hand would also be good elements in a truly useful performance measure.

Do we really know much at all about what the "new deal" is? As far as the pundits go, the only measures that seem meaningful to them are screen size and market share, right?

This post has been edited by ProfCarter: 29 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

#14 User is offline   DocNo 

• Veteran

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostRogifan, on 29 June 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

It still blows my mind that Apple kept quite for so long allowing the media and competitors to basically define them.

It still blows my mind that otherwise rational people think that the "media" and "competitors" can define a company.

The only thing a company has to do to define itself is BE itself. Which, amazingly enough is what Apple does, and unsurprisingly is why they have the largest market cap.

Funny isn't it, by NOT acting like every other company and following conventional wisdom, they are the company with the largest market capitalization. So why, exactly, should they try to "fake" it by wasting money on ads, PR flacks, etc.?

If you don't counter perception eventually it can become reality in the minds of the general public.

HA! I've been a Mac user and OWNER since 1985. The technology press in general has NEVER been favorable of Apple. And despite that, they have still managed to succeed.

Methinks your faith in the media and "perception" is VASTLY overblown.

Apple needs to start fighting back.

Apple doesn't need to start fighting back - they have never stopped fighting back. "Computers for the rest of us", "Think Different" - Apple has been and still is who they always were. About making the best products they can that are accessible to normal people who want to use technology as a tool but not as a means unto it's end.

Which is why the tech press. bloggers, and the geek elite hates Apple. Apple couldn't care less about them and they know it. And amazingly, they have not only just survived but risen up and taken over the next major evolution of computing devices - mobile.

Must really chap the a$$es of all the technocrats who have been cheering for Apple's demise since the 80's. Makes me smile :)

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users