• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Macalope Weekly: Dubious conclusions

#15 User is offline   Mintzoid 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:33 PM

Thank you Macalope I was so afraid Apple was dead even though the Microsoft store was barren of customers. The sight of these poor staff members trying to look busy and useful was a sad sight. One observation the stores look like a computer lab/study room from the early 90's when I was in school. I own Apple "stuff" because it works the ad campaign reminds of the "Think Different" promotion from that time. Apple still does "Think Different" that is what the pundits don't get or like.

#16 User is offline   TheHeeNow 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 29 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Actually, the problem with the “Designed by Apple in California” ad is just that.

It might as well say "Designed by Apple in [insert dysfunctional third-world government here]".

If it's for the employees, say so. But I don't think it is. Notice the new U.S. Mac plant is NOT going to be in California, and for good reason (see second sentence above).

#17 User is offline   ingus 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

Dennistrator said:

GadgetGav said
"Fluoridation in our drinking water" Haha! Been listening to Unprofessional much? Or watching Dr. Strangelove?

Gentlemen! This is the War Room. You can't fight in here!
I'm more of a "Woz" guy...

#18 User is offline   Swift2 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:27 PM

I just have one question. Normal people don't have these opinions, do they? I mean, this isn't what they sweated out in grade school, learning how to be tech analysts, was it? Whether they are stock touts or shills, or consumer watchdogs, or just starry-eyed tech writers talking about the wondrous new world of the computer machines, they just want to do their best, don't they? And yet, week after week, we see instances of people whose intentions are not good. Almost-- and I raise this topic deliberately -- it's almost like some money is sloshing around from that company whose name begins with "S." And if you say something they like, some "S" money heads their way. Too conspiratorial? It would explain why so many supposedly clever people cover themselves in deep every day.

#19 User is offline   Swift2 

• PipPip

Posted 29 June 2013 - 09:35 PM

I just noticed one of those "inverse ratio" thingies. The more someone protests that, "They're sure not doing it like the great, the incomparable Steve," the more the really didn't like the guy, or Apple, very much at all. I bet that's true, if you go back and check the records.

#20 User is offline   bettercitizens 

• PipPip

Posted 30 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

TheHeeNow said:

Actually, the problem with the “Designed by Apple in California” ad is just that. It might as well say "Designed by Apple in [insert dysfunctional third-world government here]". If it's for the employees, say so. But I don't think it is. Notice the new U.S. Mac plant is NOT going to be in California, and for good reason (see second sentence above).

I just saw the massive new Intel plant in Chandler, AZ. Very impressive and Intel like many other companies is not spending any money to expand in CA.

It is up to the voters to vote in pro business representatives so CA can get back on track. Oh and while we are at it repeal the AB 32 global warming bill that Schawhatcha signed, rein in the power of the CARB and reform the public sector retirement system (underfunded by about half a trillion depending on the study and its assumptions). Not much to do in CA, really. ;-)

#22 User is offline   Hamranhansenhansen 

• PipPip

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

> Aqua
> late 90's

You mean the Aqua that didn't even become the default Mac OS until 2003? The Aqua that fragmented Mac OS for over 5 years? The Aqua that was followed by unprofitable quarters? The Aqua that has done nothing but turn back into Mac OS 9 since?

Examples:

- eye-wearying white windows turned back into gray windows
- giant colorful button bars turned back into tiny gray ones
- windows now minimize into a list within the app again
- muted Geneva/Helvetica type returned
- Launcher returned as LaunchPad
- desk accessories returned as Dashboard
- App Nap now starves background apps to make the foreground more responsive

If you compare Mac OS 9 and 10.9 interfaces, they are more alike than 10.0 and 10.9. Aqua was a failure, which is why when Microsoft copied Aqua in Vista, Vista was also a failure. Users don't want an “upgrade” to destroy the product and replace it with a new product. See also: Windows 8, Apple Maps 6, Adobe Creative Cloud. All lost more than half of their user base in one version. Adobe was at least smart enough to more than double their prices to make up for it.

So the introduction of Aqua is not a good argument for the introduction of iOS 7. If Aqua is prologue, in a few years, Apple will be holding a mock funeral for iOS 6 and showing off iOS 9's new muted textures and obvious buttons and visual realism.

So looking at Aqua is an argument for “iOS 7 Mavericks” — an iOS 7 that is to 6 as OS X Mavericks is to Mountain Lion: evolved, refined, fixed, such that you feel you are using the same product and soon forget that Mountain Lion existed. That is the definition of an *upgrade*.

#24 User is offline   Hamranhansenhansen 

• PipPip

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

TheHeeNow said:

Actually, the problem with the “Designed by Apple in California” ad is just that. It might as well say "Designed by Apple in [insert dysfunctional third-world government here]". If it's for the employees, say so. But I don't think it is. Notice the new U.S. Mac plant is NOT going to be in California, and for good reason (see second sentence above).

Designed in California, assembled other places. It has nothing to do with how functional or dysfunctional the current California government is. Same as making SoC's in Texas or glass in Kentucky has nothing to do with the awful governments in both of those states. Kentucky has skilled glass workers and Texas has skilled chip makers and California has skilled computer designers and software engineers.

Apple is as proud of their state as many Texans are proud of their state. Nothing wrong with it. California has more people than most countries.

#25 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Whatever happened to Apple? Are they still in business?

I've heard of this thing called the Internet? will it harm me if I stare at it for too long?

#26 User is offline   quakerotis 

• PipPip

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

I've head of this thing called the Internet. Will it harm me if I stare at it too long?

#27 User is offline   TheHeeNow 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 01 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Hamranhansenhansen said:

TheHeeNow said
Actually, the problem with the “Designed by Apple in California” ad is just that. It might as well say "Designed by Apple in [insert dysfunctional third-world government here]". If it's for the employees, say so. But I don't think it is. Notice the new U.S. Mac plant is NOT going to be in California, and for good reason (see second sentence above). Designed in California, assembled other places. It has nothing to do with how functional or dysfunctional the current California government is. Same as making SoC's in Texas or glass in Kentucky has nothing to do with the awful governments in both of those states. Kentucky has skilled glass workers and Texas has skilled chip makers and California has skilled computer designers and software engineers. Apple is as proud of their state as many Texans are proud of their state. Nothing wrong with it. California has more people than most countries.

I'll take Kentucky's vibrant economy, with a government run by democrats, over California's one-foot-in-the-grave economy any day. California manufactures nothing. Kentucky has Ford heavy duty trucks, Ford Escapes, Corvette, Toyota Camry, UPS' World Hub, GE Appliances, YUM! Brands, and as you mentioned, Corning Glass for all iDevices. That's just naming a few. California, in comparison, has nothing but debt. Hence Mac assembly in Texas, not just SoC's as you said.

Do some research before you post next time.

#28 User is offline   Sigivald 

• PipPip

Posted 01 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

Touchscreen Apple TV?

That'd make me gasp for air ... because it's so <I>insanely stupid</i>.

#29 User is offline   Paul 

• PipPip

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:05 AM

The pundits are getting worse. "....and with Apple signaling is everything." Possible the most idiotic statement of the 21st Century. Either that or the "touchscreen AppleTV" comment. Jaheezus.

Macalope, I applaud you for sticking with this work. I don't see how your stomach can take it.

#30 User is offline   W_Loring 

• PipPip

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

Regarding brown crayons: http://www.gocomics....nuts/2013/04/03

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users