• Group: MW Bot

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:30 AM

Post your comments for Of cross-fades and combined tracks here

#2 User is offline   neils 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

re: audio joining.

Whilst I'm sure Fission is great, I think it's worth pointing out that the excellent, open source Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net - will also do that task (and a lot more) for free.

#3 User is offline   kidvorpal 

• Pip

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:58 AM

I've also used GarageBand to link tracks that were already on my computer as well. Very handy, and it came preinstalled on my Mac so I wasn't out any additional cash.

#4 User is offline   Fixx 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:37 AM

The point of Fission is that it does not recompress audio (except if there is crossfade added, and even then only the changed section). Free software tends to recompress, and if original quality is less than optimal the new version is worse. With good quality or lossless material free apps work ok.

#5 User is offline   jonyo 

• PipPip

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

neils said:

re: audio joining. Whilst I'm sure Fission is great, I think it's worth pointing out that the excellent, open source Audacity - http://audacity.sourceforge.net - will also do that task (and a lot more) for free.

One key thing about Fission is that you can edit lossy files without re-encoding. So, you can join 2 files together without re-encoding IF the 2 lossy format files are the same file format and sample rate, etc. Not sure if Audacity can do that.

#6 User is offline   jonyo 

• PipPip

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Oops, didn't mean to post a duplicate response, sorry!

#7 User is offline   BudClark 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

The iPod nano allows for cross-fades, it's an option in the settings. The software respects contiguous tracks and won't cross-fade those. It's why I use a nano in my car, and why I regret that Apple (a) won't move that software function to iOS devices like the touch and the iPhone, and (B) won't sell a nano with more than 16GB capacity.

#8 User is offline   Link33 

• PipPip

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

Interesting to me, you can join two or more MP3 files using the command line cat. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone but its a free option.

#9 User is offline   Knighstalker 

• Pip

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

I just want crossfade! All the apps that offer it just piss me off. DRM is not supported. But I really don't care about that. The big thing is the play count on my playlists don't count down. Apple should include crossfade in iOS. All the iPods (except for the iPod Touch) have it built in. It's asinine that iOS doesn't support it!

#10 User is offline   bluntedge 

• Pip

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

HI there, I'm a big fan of your reviews about Itunes. I have a question about the loss less format. If I rip a cd and make it loss less and add it to Itunes do I lose the loss less format if I use Itunes Match?

thanks

#11 User is offline   mhawks 

• PipPip

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:06 AM

I use garage band to make one song of two, I think quicktime pro would also do that. You might even be able to join them using VLC.

#12 User is offline   SteveLeuniz 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:26 AM

Yes, QuickTime Pro is by far the easiest option. Simply copy and paste one song to the ned of another and export in a compressed (.mp3, .m4a, etc.) or lossless (.aif) format. You're done!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users