Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Looking for (e)book database software

#1 User is offline   heimdall 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm looking for a better way to organize my book collection, which has trended towards ebooks the last few years. I started keeping track of my print books some years ago using Bookpedia, but as I've been reading ebooks more and more, I've found that Bookpedia isn't really quite up to it. I also own Delicious Library 2; because of the lack of any significant added support for ebooks, I don't plan to upgrade to v.3. Bookpedia is otherwise OK, but it's ebook accommodation is, at best, an afterthought.

Basically, I've love for the database app to 1) import book metadata from a file (epub, etc.) dropped onto it, and auto-populate the fields, and/or use that info to search online (Amazon and so on.) to fully populate them, and 2) to keep track of the location of the ebook data files.

Since I'm talking ebooks, I don't really care about tracking lending, but I would need to be able to accommodate ebooks that I don't actually have a local copy of--e.g., Kindle purchases.

This post has been edited by heimdall: 17 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

#2 User is offline   bastion 

• Power User
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:59 AM

View Postheimdall, on 17 July 2013 - 12:02 PM, said:

I'm looking for a better way to organize my book collection, which has trended towards ebooks the last few years. I started keeping track of my print books some years ago using Bookpedia, but as I've been reading ebooks more and more, I've found that Bookpedia isn't really quite up to it. I also own Delicious Library 2; because of the lack of any significant added support for ebooks, I don't plan to upgrade to v.3. Bookpedia is otherwise OK, but it's ebook accommodation is, at best, an afterthought.

Basically, I've love for the database app to 1) import book metadata from a file (epub, etc.) dropped onto it, and auto-populate the fields, and/or use that info to search online (Amazon and so on.) to fully populate them, and 2) to keep track of the location of the ebook data files.

Since I'm talking ebooks, I don't really care about tracking lending, but I would need to be able to accommodate ebooks that I don't actually have a local copy of--e.g., Kindle purchases.

Bookpedia will do the second thing; it's long had the ability to link files to its records. I don't think it does the first one, but have you tried contacting the author? My experience has been that he's generally responsive and interested in reasonable feature requests and that sounds like a really nice feature to add.

#3 User is offline   heimdall 

• PipPip

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

View Postbastion, on 18 July 2013 - 02:59 AM, said:

Bookpedia will do the second thing; it's long had the ability to link files to its records. I don't think it does the first one, but have you tried contacting the author? My experience has been that he's generally responsive and interested in reasonable feature requests and that sounds like a really nice feature to add.

I've contacted the author, and posted such requests in the forums, but there doesn't seem to be much interest in expanding ebook support. I realize that Bookpedia supports links (my request was that I'd want that in whatever other app was suggested), though BP is pretty bad at adapting to path changes. I.e., if I have a path like
Documents>ebooks>booktitle.epub
and I move it to a new folder,
Documents>ebooks>books' author>booktitle.epub
the link breaks.

In fact, I just looked up the feature requests I'd sent to Bruji about two years ago that still aren't supported:

1) support for multiple formats under a single title. That is, I can enter "paperback" or "E-book" or "Kindle" and so on, but not multiple formats at once (e.g., paperback, .epub).
2) auto-population of that Format field based on files added to the Links pane. If I drop a folder with .epub, .lit, and .pdf files in it, then those three formats should be added to the Format field.
3) even better, treat those Formats as Subformats: the Format would be E-book, subformat .epub, .lit., .pdb, ,rtf, .mobi, and so on.
4) if a Folder is added to the Links pane, BP should see the files inside the folder and not just list it as "Folder"

#4 User is offline   AngelaAtkinson 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

I've used Bookpedia for a long time and I am satisfied with all it's features but it time for a change now and some other software should do the trick now. I mean, there needs to a great search feature among the database and how about implementing the natural query system. Hoping for some really great ones out there.

#5 User is offline   AngelaAtkinson 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

View PostAngelaAtkinson, on 31 July 2013 - 04:07 AM, said:

I've used Bookpedia for a long time and I am satisfied with all it's features but it time for a change now and some other software should do the trick now. I mean, there needs to a great search feature among the database and how about implementing the natural query system. Hoping for some really great ones out there.

I've used one SAT Prep book from Bookpedia for my exams and it turned out really well.

#6 User is offline   heimdall 

• PipPip

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:41 AM

View PostAngelaAtkinson, on 31 July 2013 - 11:02 PM, said:

I've used one SAT Prep book from Bookpedia for my exams and it turned out really well.

Huh?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users