Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Worse than autoplay videos? Unrelated autoplay videos for tech tips, ads, etc - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Worse than autoplay videos? Unrelated autoplay videos for tech tips, ads, etc

#1 User is offline   icerabbit 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

I was absolutely stunned today, while reading part way down the "IFTTT" article, when suddenly a stuttering music clip/sample started, followed by a male voice asking about "Meeting up with friends ..."

:unsure:

:blink:

Did I miss the autoplay bit at the top for an IFTTT video clip?

No, I didn't miss anything from the article. It was a completely unrelated tech hive video which had started on auto-play in the top right sidebar??

It is bad and inconsiderate enough to have auto-play on the video segments for articles. Now going for tech tips / promo videos I didn't ask for, while I'm trying to read something quietly on a limited bandwidth connection, is really pushing it a notch too far, in my humble opinion.

I understand you want to engage your readers, keep them clicking around, etc. All that being said, it is inconsiderate to auto-play videos when your readers may be on an expensive mobile connection, may try to read something in a quiet place, ...

You are forcing readers to configure an ad block filter to block all AV content from MacWorld/TechHive/PcWorld/... and if that fails, you are pushing them to go elsewhere.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users