Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Fair Price for an entry-level mid-2012 15" MBP? - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fair Price for an entry-level mid-2012 15" MBP? Used Hardware Pricing General

#1 User is offline   walczyk 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Hi, I've been looking for a used MacBook Pro to replace my ailing late-2008 13" MacBook. I found a 15" 2012 MBP, but it doesn't have the Nvidia video card, and I already purchased 16gb of ram to replace it, but I have talked the owner down to $1350, but I still think that it may be overpriced. He says he rarely ever used it, and it comes with extras like applecare, wireless mouse, hard cover, but I don't want any of those things. Is this price worth it? I am disappointed about the video card, that's the only thing that makes me apprehensive because I don't think I could buy and install one. Unless that is something people do, I'd like to know how to do it. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

#2 User is offline   hydro77 

• PipPip

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:05 AM

Prices very in other countries, so a fair price in Australia will be a lot less in America. My point is it depends on where you live to give a fair price on a product.

In my Country, Australia, to buy it new it costs $1994, so that is a pretty good price and I Would take it depending on the price over here and condition. I Would personally only buy it if i can actually see it and use it, and open it up to take a look at the state of components. If you have seen it and it looks, works good then i would take it.

so that mac has integrated graphics 4000. in that case change it. but the one I saw has a nvidia GT650M graphics card built in.

This link below is in another language because i went for some searches. It is software that lets you choose which graphics card you want to use. Handy if you want to change it.

http://www.heise.de/...us-1174053.html

-----There is really no way to upgrade the graphics card unless you replace the whole logic board with a newer one-----

That is expensive and could set you back $800

-If that mac has the ability to install one on the logic board, i can tell you the steps necessary to install a new one.

This post has been edited by hydro77: 22 July 2013 - 01:25 AM

#3 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

View Postwalczyk, on 21 July 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Hi, I've been looking for a used MacBook Pro to replace my ailing late-2008 13" MacBook. I found a 15" 2012 MBP, but it doesn't have the Nvidia video card, and I already purchased 16gb of ram to replace it, but I have talked the owner down to $1350, but I still think that it may be overpriced. He says he rarely ever used it, and it comes with extras like applecare, wireless mouse, hard cover, but I don't want any of those things. Is this price worth it? I am disappointed about the video card, that's the only thing that makes me apprehensive because I don't think I could buy and install one. Unless that is something people do, I'd like to know how to do it. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

What do you mean it does not have the nVidia video card? Do you mean that the video card is dead/defective? It should have an nVidia video card as all mid 2012 15" MBPs came with the dual graphics systems.

If the nVidia card is dead (or some how removed), then I would say that $1350 is definitely not worth it (assuming you are in the US and these are US prices). After all, you can get a refurbished model from Apple with a FULL original Apple warranty with a working nVidia card for $1450:

http://store.apple.c...d-core-intel-i7

#4 User is offline   hydro77 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

View Postsmax013, on 22 July 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

View Postwalczyk, on 21 July 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

What do you mean it does not have the nVidia video card? Do you mean that the video card is dead/defective? It should have an nVidia video card as all mid 2012 15" MBPs came with the dual graphics systems.

If the nVidia card is dead (or some how removed), then I would say that $1350 is definitely not worth it (assuming you are in the US and these are US prices). After all, you can get a refurbished model from Apple with a FULL original Apple warranty with a working nVidia card for $1450:

http://store.apple.c...d-core-intel-i7

Sounds dodgy to me, he says that he doesn't have a separate graphics card in it. I would stay away from that one because i think that he has done some fiddling around with the hardware.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users