• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

Post your comments for Six reasons to buy an iPad here

#2 User is offline   TeaEarleGreyHot 

• Veteran
  • Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

If you’d prefer to not hear stories of my family affairs and instead ask a question of your own, drop a line to....

Ha, no but thanks for this nice article. I've been asking myself Aunt Vilma's question for several months. :)

#3 User is offline   danmusician 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:02 AM

If Aunt Vilma is an older member of the clan, say in her 70’s, I would encourage her to "try before you by." From the beginning, I thought the ipad would be perfect for my parents. However, they have never been able to master holding the thing. Inevitably, the thumb holding the device ends up on the screen surface causing havoc when they touch with their other finger. Hence a swipe because a zoom, etc.

I recently tried an ipad mini with them, but their frustration was too great from previous experiences to give it a chance.

#4 User is offline   ksinger 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:22 AM

[quote name='danmusician'] If Aunt Vilma is an older member of the clan, say in her 70’s,

EXCUSE ME, but I am an "older member" of my clan and love my iPad. I do not have any "thumb" issues. You might suggest that they shouldn't be holding an object as heavy as an iPad in their hand but rather resting it on their knees or propped in an easily removable case so they can switch the orientation. An iPad is not for everybody, but being able to sit comfortably and zoom to make things more visible are real assets. However I do agree with Chris that it can be addicting because it is so available and so can isolate you from the world of flesh and blood encounters with people.

#5 User is offline   danmusician 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Ksinger, no offense was intended. I merely suggested "try before you buy." I know other older folks who use it fine. Please believe me that I tried my best to help them have a positive experience with the iPad, including tips for how to hold it. I don't believe weight was the issue. They just kept grabbing the thing "wrong."

BTW, mine has a black bezel. I have wondered if a white bezel might be helpful in showing where to hold it. The mini had a white bezel, but by then they had given up.

#6 User is offline   wardoggie 

• Veteran

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

View Postdanmusician, on 24 July 2013 - 06:44 AM, said:

Ksinger, no offense was intended. I merely suggested "try before you buy." I know other older folks who use it fine. Please believe me that I tried my best to help them have a positive experience with the iPad, including tips for how to hold it. I don't believe weight was the issue. They just kept grabbing the thing "wrong."

BTW, mine has a black bezel. I have wondered if a white bezel might be helpful in showing where to hold it. The mini had a white bezel, but by then they had given up.

I second danmusician's experience (although my parents are a bit older). My folks attended seniors' computer classes about ten years ago and my mom is comfortable with email and web surfing. My dad, not so much. But as time marches on, they are less inclined to learn new things, preferring to keep chugging along with my hand-me-down macs, which I've set up to work flawlessly for those simple tasks. But after seeing some iPad ads, my dad asked me about getting one. I would love it if they did because they're so much easier to deal with from a remote tech support aspect, but when he tried mine, he couldn't seem to get the hang of taps and multi-touch. He quickly got frustrated and that was that. One weekend with my iPad saved me at least $500 and a lot of frustration :)

#7 User is offline   KrasniOktabr 

• PipPip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

I am shuddering at the thought of my parents trying to click a link on an iPad without getting a big blue square and the option to 'copy' come up all the time

#8 User is offline   Petew 

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:24 PM

KrasniOktabr said:

I am shuddering at the thought of my parents trying to click a link on an iPad without getting a big blue square and the option to 'copy' come up all the time

You don't have to be old to perpetually run into trouble touching the screen inadvertently and bringing up 'copy' or hit an add accidentally that takes you into a new tab, especially when you keep the iPad on your lap sitting in a comfy couch :-)

#9 User is offline   ckean88 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

A year ago I was hearing the siren's call of the iPad. I own an iMac that I love and use all the time and had an old PC laptop. I needed... well truthfully just WANTED... portable computing power (personal... not business) to have in kitchen/living room and to bring to hotels etc while traveling. After I really thought about it and researched iPad limitations (no physical keypad, relatively slow wifi connection, small screen, difficulty printing from web, no MS office, no flash support, no USB to transfer files, etc etc etc) I bought a 13" MacBook Air.

I'm very happy with the MacBook Air. Love the light weight, nearly instant on/off of SSD, perfect size balancing portability and ease of use, carries all my files, works with everything, easy to print stuff, etc.

After using the MacBook Air for months now I am pleased to not own an iPad. Probably not a fair observation, but when I see people using them around town they are either playing some mindless game or trying to use the iPad as a camera (looking quite comical in the process). I'm also amazed at how much money people are spending on endless expensive iPad accessories- cases, stands, connectors, keyboards, blah blah blah). Why not just buy a real laptop instead of trying to make your iPad a (lousy) laptop?

I'm sure many love their iPad and find them desirable--- but they are not for me. Just one man's opinion.

#10 User is offline   Andy 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

I have to agree with danmusician: if possible, let the older person try an iPad for a week or so before investing money in one. Everything the article's writer said said was true, and I think an iPad is likely to be a better bet than a laptop or desktop computer for an older and perhaps technophobic person... but it's not a sure thing. As wardoggie wrote, the older people get, the less inclined they are to learn new things.

For example, a dear friend of mine who's in her 80s was a long-time Mac user, and not just casually--in the past, she put out reports and newsletters with Quark XPress, edited videos with iMovie, and generally knew her way around the Mac OS X better than nine out of ten people of any age.

But in recent years she'd been using her iMac less and less, and so her son--a Microsoft employee--bought her an iPad two years ago. Unfortunately, he lives on the other side of the country from her and is not the kind of person who's good at patiently leading newbies by the hand. I am... but I too live thousands of miles away.

By the time I managed to visit her and sit down for some one-on-one tutoring, she was pretty well frustrated with it. Even putting the text insertion point in a text field was a problem. "Where's the tab key?", she wanted to know. "Just tap where you want to type," I replied... but it was hard for her to remember that. As a lifelong touch typist, she didn't care for the iPad's glass keyboard, either. My friend ended up giving away the iPad to her other son.

I'm not telling his story to discourage anyone, but just to say that the iPad is not a panacea for older users, especially those who have been using a conventional computer for awhile and have a set of habits and expectations built up. Yes, the iPad is simpler... but it's also *different*, and for an older person, "different" can mean "difficult." So before you go out and spend hundreds of dollars, give the prospective user a chance to try out an iPad. Many will love it... but not all.

#11 User is offline   Woochifer 

• Pip

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

The answer to this question is absolutely. My mom never mastered the keyboard and mouse, and to this day cannot do a thing on a PC.

Yet, she wanted to see pictures that her friends and relatives were posting on Facebook, and she wanted to do videocalling with her grandchild. So, she got an iPad, which I setup when we went down there on vacation. What she could never figure out with a PC, she intuitively understands using a touchscreen.

Now that she has the iPad, she uses it everyday for games, maps, Facetime, and Facebook. She's now also setup with an Apple TV, and will use the iPad for streaming TV shows (especially good for overseas programming). AirPlay is ridiculously simple to use, and I would have never imagined seeing my technophobe mom this connected on an everyday basis. The iPad basically enabled her to participate in connected activities.

#12 User is offline   pawhite524 

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

I concur with the theme of Chris and many commenters: the iPad is a want, not a need. But what a device to have fun with! My iPad mini is, metaphorically, so much like my old Mazda Miata- clear limits as a car but what a grin-machine!

No product is for everyone. The other theme ripe with wisdom, try it before you buy, just makes so much sense.

Cheers!

#13 User is offline   Petew 

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

ckean88 says "when I see people using them around town they are either playing some mindless game or trying to use the iPad as a camera (looking quite comical in the process)."

Are you mocking me? ;-) The iPad is great for taking pictures because of the large photo view, I find it more accurate than the iPhone and I don't mind looking silly :-)
Nevertheless I concur with your iPad gripes and have given the Air some thought, however, a few questions when using your Air on the road:
1. How do you take a picture or a quick video shot? Carry a separate camera?
1. How do you connect (apart from wifi) to cellular? Do you tether your iPhone or use a mifi?

#14 User is offline   eagle61 

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:36 AM

One very good reason not to buy an iPad ..... Nexus 7, the tablet with the display Apple said wasn't possible on the iPad mini.
iPad has nothing to make you buy it over an Android device, display speed, apps, etc.
Come on Apple, get your innovation brain cells into gear or my next buy will be Nexus.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users