• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Six reasons to buy an iPad

#15 User is offline   jrdvt 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:31 AM

eagle61 said:

One very good reason not to buy an iPad ..... Nexus 7....

Hilarious! Have you TRIED Nexus 7, or just think the goofy commercial is cool?

[quote name='eagle61']Come on Apple, get your innovation brain cells into gear or my next buy will be Nexus. [/quote

You should be able to get one cheap. The "only-used-once" Nexus market is on fire.

#16 User is offline   CyberBob 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

My experience with trying to get my Mom to work with an iPad is similar to what others have said here. I setup a Windows desktop for her many years ago so she could browse the web, respond to email, create documents on Microsoft Word, and manage her many recipes. I thought the iPad would be perfect for her, but she didn't like the experience at all. She actually preferred the keyboard, mouse, and a larger screen. So, it really depends on what a person is comfortable with, and the willingness to learn something new.

#17 User is offline   dclehmkuhl 

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

OK, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a career geek, having started with punch cards in 1972. That makes me almost 65. The fact that I am a woman is incidental, except it means I carry a purse like 90% of women in North America, and my purse carries my iPad.

Stephen Fry showed me his iPad on Twitter when he got his early ship from Apple. I was sunk. I got mine on Day One in 2010. After about 48 hours I went out and bought a purse big enough to carry it with me. Since then the only iteration that I have skipped is the last one, always Day One. Next one will be Mini with Retina display, when it happens.

Last few compulsive uses of iPad:

1) In a restaurant: "What is this gold necklace worth if I melt it down" [I'm a jeweler now] Use Safari to get current gold price and calculator to estimate. If only it could be a scale too.
2) In the supermarket: "What do I need to make that lentil salad recipe?" Pull up Cooks' Illustrated app to get the ingredients and find the name of that olive oil they liked best.
3) In a presentation: "I need the name of that movie that ..." iMDB.
4) In the post office: Look up Contacts information. Use Mail to pull up the email with that shipping address.
5) At the fabric store: Store app brings up the coupon bar code I forgot to bring.
6) At lunch alone: Read mail, Tweetbot, FB (Safari), and a book.
7)and all the other stuff you do day in and out with your iPhone, but on a screen big enough for me to see without taking my glasses off.

For your senior friends another tip: I keep a stylus (Wacom Bamboo) attached to my iPad case (Sena Folio, has protected iPad from many, many potentially shattering drops). Sometimes the stylus is a better option than the finger.

I get the bends when I'm separated from this device.

ps. One More Thing. On a vacation to a remote location with no network connections at all, I brought along my Apple BT keyboard and camera kit. I kept my journal on the iPad, complete with pictures snapped with the iPhone, iPad, and my digital camera, ready for publication as soon as I hit a net.

#18 User is offline   ssffww 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

eagle61 said:

One very good reason not to buy an iPad ..... Nexus 7, the tablet with the display Apple said wasn't possible on the iPad mini. iPad has nothing to make you buy it over an Android device, display speed, apps, etc. Come on Apple, get your innovation brain cells into gear or my next buy will be Nexus.

Ah, the inevitable "Android is better than Apple" comment. Does it really matter? Use whichever you prefer. The first generation Nexus 7 does not have a rear camera, so if you wish to use your iPad to snap shots it can't do it. Personally that's no big deal to me because I don't use my tablets as cameras.

I have both an iPad and a Nexus 7 and there are several apps that simply do not work as well for me on my Nexus 7. This may be because the developers have simply not taken the time to make the apps look or function as nicely. This is particularly true of my recipe apps. However, I much prefer my Nexus 7 for reading books simply because of the size. My iPad is the full size version and it's just not as comfortable to hold for long periods of time. I also like some features of Android better, but not all.

I also have a MacBook Air and it is very easy to travel with. However, I only use it when I need to write or work. I don't open it for social media or to check email or manage finances. It's just not as convenient. I do use it to play the one online game I like and there's nothing wrong with that. Gamers have their place too.

As for the let "older" persons try it first, I would suggest that for anyone. My teenager often wants something until he tries it. He loves gaming and always tries systems out before he buys. It's just good sense. Nothing to do with age.

#19 User is offline   dramapro 

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:20 AM

Why buy an iPad? Because all those other tablet pretenders will never have what iPad has: Apple Cool.

#20 User is offline   dramapro 

• Pip

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

dramapro said:

Why buy an iPad? Because all those other tablet pretenders will never have what iPad has: Apple Cool.

And BTW, yes, I'm a long-time Apple Geek, but I probably *won't* buy an iPad, because as a content creator, I can't do what I need to on it - it can't run the entire Adobe Creative Suite and Office for instance. But I WANT one badly.

#21 User is offline   MacPro2007 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

I'm 68 - I have a new Mac Pro (just replacing the 6+ year old previous one), a MacBook and an iPod my daughter bought me for Xmas a few years ago. I'm 'Photoshop educated" (do photo restorations and humorous "graphics illustrations") and have an array of digital cameras & eqpt. And I IMMEDIATELY went to the "6 reasons to buy an iPad" article to see if I had missed anything. Sadly, in this case, I found I haven't missed anything and I still don't need to buy an iPad.

Took an IQ & aptitude tests a few years ago: no evidence my abilities have deteriorated (from the 97th percentile level) which I've always had. I found I'd actually gained a few IQ points and my aptitudes increased as well.

My findings re electronic "enhancements" so far: I think that desktop & laptop computers are "suffering" from the diversions of smart phones (in particular) and tablets. I think the industry consciously departed from personal computing devices and has taken us off on a diversionary course (example: Twitter!) I think these companies are creating something unneeded simply to sell us more stuff.

Furthermore: all personal "electronic assistants" at this point actually increase our vulnerability in some ways. The Ultimate Electronic Assistant will be more like "Robby the Robot" in the movie "Forbidden Planet." A friend & defender: a defense attorney, an expert in physical and electronic counter measures. Right now, the closest I have to those things are an actual attorney and my Glock pistols.

#22 User is offline   graigsmith 

• PipPip

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

if you draw, the reason you should get an ipad is Procreate!!!! the best drawing app ever.

#23 User is offline   gwlaw99 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

1. It's lighter and thinner than a laptop.
2. It has much better battery life than a laptop.
3. The form factor is much more comfortable for lying on a couch/ bed.

#24 User is offline   phoenix55b 

• Pip

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

In the article he talks about the iPad causing us to lose the disconnect ability by having easy access, that doesn't take an iPad. My wife and I went from each having our own desktops in the "Den" to each now having our own Laptops which we park on Table-mates in the Living room, in our favorite chairs, in front of the TV.
Once wireless technology reached a stage of quick reliable connections, we lost the need for desktops. With Time-machine I am even able to backup everything in real time, wireless.

#25 User is offline   phoenix55b 

• Pip

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

[quote name='ssffww']
eagle61 said
However, I much prefer my Nexus 7 for reading books simply because of the size. My iPad is the full size version and it's just not as comfortable to hold for long periods of time.

For reading I prefer my Kindle Paperwhite. It's so much lighter and can be used in the dark or direct sunlight.

#26 User is offline   phoenix55b 

• Pip

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Woochifer said:

The answer to this question is absolutely. My mom never mastered the keyboard and mouse, and to this day cannot do a thing on a PC. Yet, she wanted to see pictures that her friends and relatives were posting on Facebook, and she wanted to do videocalling with her grandchild. So, she got an iPad, which I setup when we went down there on vacation. What she could never figure out with a PC, she intuitively understands using a touchscreen. Now that she has the iPad, she uses it everyday for games, maps, Facetime, and Facebook. She's now also setup with an Apple TV, and will use the iPad for streaming TV shows (especially good for overseas programming). AirPlay is ridiculously simple to use, and I would have never imagined seeing my technophobe mom this connected on an everyday basis. The iPad basically enabled her to participate in connected activities.

With me it was just the opposite. My mom moved in with my wife and I at 63 having never touched a computer. I had an old Windows Vista laptop doing nothing, so I set it up for her along with Facebook and Hotmail accounts. Her only issue was the small size of the laptop, so after a year she bought a Dell All-in-One with Windows 7 and loves it. I tried introducing her to the world of tablets but she never took to the touch screen. I switched to a Mac about a year ago, but their is no way I'm going to start her over with a Mac. She will use the Dell till it dies.

#27 User is offline   MarshallStaxx 

• Pip

Posted 02 August 2013 - 07:19 AM

gwlaw99 said:

... 3. The form factor is much more comfortable for lying on a couch/ bed.

True, that, and more so than I had anticipated. In a sense, my iPad is a better "laptop" than my trusty old MacBook.

#28 User is offline   Drewkulele 

• Pip

Posted 20 August 2013 - 07:23 AM

As a lifelong Mac user, I bought an iPad because everyone said I just had to get one of these things. I turned it on and played with it for an hour or two and said, "That's cute" and put it away and have never used it again... ever!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users