Macworld Forums

Macworld Forums: Mac Gems: Properly tag your videos with IDentify - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mac Gems: Properly tag your videos with IDentify

#1 User is offline   Macworld 

• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:00 AM

Post your comments for Mac Gems: Properly tag your videos with IDentify here

#2 User is offline   slablanc 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

It's an amazing app, well worth the $10.

#3 User is offline   osiodmak 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Been using Subler (https://code.google.com/p/subler/) for years and have been pleased with how easily the program finds the metadata and cover art for most of my videos. Best of all .. it's donationware. Well worth a look.

#4 User is offline   Gooch 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

+1 for Subler. A great app. IDentify is pretty good, but the UI is uglier and it's more crash-prone than Subler.

#5 User is offline   LiquidD 

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

I just wanted to leave a note here in case the developer sees this. I shouldn't have to register at his blog to find a support contact (which I still can't), but the latest update is completely shot for TV look up.

I bought this app many months ago and it always worked well, but recently there were lookup problems in which he recognized and updated. However, now, I can't get an TV shows to look up, not even the ones I have already done with Identify.

I would suggest people wait to buy this app until these problems get sorted out or find a better solution.

#6 User is offline   beejam 

• Pip

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

For LiquidD, I have the same issues with TV shows. I now use Meta TV for TV shows and iDentify for movies. Yes, I had to buy another app, but Meta TV is only $2.99 and is working fine for me.
http://www.appfacture.com/en/metatv/

#7 User is offline   spazure 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:48 AM

Gooch said:

+1 for Subler. A great app. IDentify is pretty good, but the UI is uglier and it's more crash-prone than Subler.

While this is true, and Subler's lookups are better (the only reason I have subler is to do the lookups that iDentify can't)... I hate that I have to manually edit every. single. file. In iDentify I can edit every episode at once then try a re-scan of metadata for the whole season. When iDentify works, it's superior.. when it doesn't.. well.. I'm glad subler's around.

#8 User is offline   spazure 

• Pip

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:50 AM

LiquidD said:

I just wanted to leave a note here in case the developer sees this. I shouldn't have to register at his blog to find a support contact (which I still can't), but the latest update is completely shot for TV look up. I bought this app many months ago and it always worked well, but recently there were lookup problems in which he recognized and updated. However, now, I can't get an TV shows to look up, not even the ones I have already done with Identify. I would suggest people wait to buy this app until these problems get sorted out or find a better solution.

Confirmed. I had to download subler sometime yesterday because the majority of my TV lookups started failing in iDentify at some point within the past 24 hours or so. Before that, the app has been flawless since April (when TVDB changed something with their API, but the developer fixed the issue quickly).

#9 User is offline   LiquidD 

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

beejam said:

For LiquidD, I have the same issues with TV shows. I now use Meta TV for TV shows and iDentify for movies. Yes, I had to buy another app, but Meta TV is only $2.99 and is working fine for me. http://www.appfacture.com/en/metatv/

Thanks, I'll def look into it.

#10 User is offline   randrade 

• PipPip

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

I've played with Identify for a couple weeks (it's free at their web site, register if you want a couple added features.

The problem with it is how it is too automated. It can really fail to recognize movie files unless you have the file name exactly right, therefor failing in the Internet Database search - and there is practically no automation. This is especially terrible with TV shows.

$10 is *way* overpriced.

I've since discovered MetaMovie ($3) and MetaTV ($3) in the app store. Both are stunningly accurate, actually fill-in more tags the Identify and costs only 60% of what Identify costs in the App Store.

Seriously, if you've used and like Identify, you will LOVE MetaMovie and MetaTV. Both are consistently and rock solidly accurate, especially with TV shows.

The singular drawback with metaMovie is you tag one file at a time, where Identify lets you batch-tag several files at once.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users