• Story Poster
  • Group: MW Bot

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:00 AM

Post your comments for When you're stone out of luck here

#2 User is offline   ibrewster 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

Regarding iTunes DJ, a combination of a smart playlist and up next could well replace it quite adequately. Of course, it's also possible you used it in a different way, so this approach doesn't work, but for me, iTunes DJ worked as follows:

1) It picked X number of songs from a specified playlist (either randomly or by least recently played) and played them in a random order
2) It allowed me to rearrange the playback order of those songs
3) It allowed me to easily add specific songs to playback, either next or at the end of the list.

Using a smart playlist and up next allows me to do exactly the same thing. First, I create a smart playlist (Let's call it iTunes DJ), set the number of songs, Live updating, and the criteria to pick from (actually better than the original here, as I can use more than a single playlist as the criteria). This smart playlist fills criteria #1 and #2 of iTunes DJ. I then start playing said playlist. Note that I DO NOT add the playlist to up next, as that only adds the songs currently in the playlist, but rather just double-click on a song in the playlist. This starts playing the playlist, while constantly updating up-next as the playlist updates.

Second, when I want to add a specific song, I can simply find that song in my library, right click, and choose "play next" or "Add to up next" depending on if I want that song played next or simply somewhere later in the list. If the later, and I don't want it at the end, I can go to up next and rearrange the play order to my hearts content - essentially the exact same procedure I did with iTunes DJ, just in a different spot.

It's different, yes. But in the end no harder than iTunes DJ, and from the way I use it at least no less powerful - more so, in fact, since I can use multiple criteria in the smart playlist I'm playing from, not just select a playlist. Is there some other way of using iTunes DJ that doesn't replicate exactly into the new paradigm?

#3 User is offline   talmy 

• PipPip

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

Regarding "Macs Changing Identities" I've had that problem occur even with Snow Leopard. IMHO it is a Bonjour problem when you also have an AirPort or TimeCapsule. It can be easily fixed by unchecking Wake for Network Access in the Energy Saver System Preferences pane.

And to mhalks -- Adblock doesn't work for me. Those videos still appear and play automatically. Luckily I always have sound turned off, but if I were normally playing music I'd just cross Macworld off my list. No reason to be Stone Out Of Luck on this one, just switch!

#4 User is offline   srandell 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

OK Chris,
the problem with Safari on your wife's Mac sounds weird. I have never heard of a problem such as this that can't be fixed somehow. I am sure you have already tried another browser (you actually should have done this first). If that works it is definitely something in Safari. I had a similar problem with my son's Mac. I ran all of the usual utilities, and they did not fix the problem. What I did was install a copy of the operating system on a freshly formatted external drive, booted from that and everything worked. From there you have to wipe the internal drive and install everything (starting with the operating system) from scratch. At lot of time but I believe that will fix the problem. I believe if you can get things to work from an external drive than this procedure should work.

#5 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

View Posttalmy, on 29 July 2013 - 07:36 AM, said:

And to mhalks -- Adblock doesn't work for me. Those videos still appear and play automatically.

Use ClickToPlugin . It works.

#6 User is offline   evweber99 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

Regarding the wifi missing in action. My iPhone 4S does this every couple of months. The answer is to reboot the phone. That is, hold the power button down until it powers off, and then turn it back on. Works every time. For good measure, I also shut down background apps before shutting down in case one of them is the problem.

#7 User is offline   LynnRCarter 

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Chris Breen said:

Yes! This works great. Thank you so much!

This post has been edited by LynnRCarter: 29 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

#8 User is offline   marilynat107 

• PipPip

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:33 PM

Chris Breen said:

talmy said
And to mhalks -- Adblock doesn't work for me. Those videos still appear and play automatically. Use http://hoyois.github...clicktoplugin/. It works.

I have Adblock installed too which works like a charm but the MacWorld adds start playing every time I visit the website. I have to mute the sound in order to read your articles in peace. That's right, there's no stop or start video play option until After the add finishes running. :(

#9 User is offline   marilynat107 

• PipPip

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

I have Click to Flash installed as well as AdBlock.

#10 User is offline   kmfyi 

• PipPip

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

Chris Breen said:

talmy said
And to mhalks -- Adblock doesn't work for me. Those videos still appear and play automatically. Use http://hoyois.github...clicktoplugin/. It works.

I agree. I just added this to my extensions yesterday and, voila, no more videos. Do have to remember to click on what I do want to see. Otherwise, it's great!

#11 User is offline   bdmarsh 

• Pip

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

There are many things to try with a Safari that keeps locking up.

First you can verify if it is specific to the one user account by creating a new user if there isn't already one.

If it does happen for the new user as well, then it is something system-wide check:
Internet Plugins
Input Managers (pretty much not used any more, but a good thing to check)

If it only happens for the one user then:
Check for Toolbars
Do a "Reset Safari"
Preference file
Caches

re-installing will most likely not actually do anything since it is likely a file not directly part of Safari.

Only in really extreme cases should you ever have to do a Mac OS X Re-install (Based on 17-18 years of Mac tech experience, I'm still under about 15 times I've ever had to do an OS re-install when there wasn't a hard drive failure)
One more thing to check before doing an OS re-install, is to check in Console.app - system.log or kernel.log depending on OS version, and search for "I/O error" if these are showing up, it is most likely hard drive failure causing issues.

#12 User is offline   johnnylundy 

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

Aaron might have foolishly installed the iOS 7 beta, which Apple warns you never, ever to install on an everyday device. The fact that he mentions "DFU mode" (which is "advised" by online sites to allow reversion to iOS 6 when users are disappointed that a beta has some shortcomings) suggests this. Also, he asked here since the iOS Developer Forums are currently down.

He needs to wait until iOS 7 is released and hope that fixes his twisted-up device.

#13 User is offline   Chris Breen 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:45 AM

View Postbdmarsh, on 30 July 2013 - 06:30 AM, said:

There are many things to try with a Safari that keeps locking up.

First you can verify if it is specific to the one user account by creating a new user if there isn't already one.

If it does happen for the new user as well, then it is something system-wide check:
Internet Plugins
Input Managers (pretty much not used any more, but a good thing to check)

If it only happens for the one user then:
Check for Toolbars
Do a "Reset Safari"
Preference file
Caches

re-installing will most likely not actually do anything since it is likely a file not directly part of Safari.

Only in really extreme cases should you ever have to do a Mac OS X Re-install (Based on 17-18 years of Mac tech experience, I'm still under about 15 times I've ever had to do an OS re-install when there wasn't a hard drive failure)
One more thing to check before doing an OS re-install, is to check in Console.app - system.log or kernel.log depending on OS version, and search for "I/O error" if these are showing up, it is most likely hard drive failure causing issues.

Tried it all and no joy. Good suggestions, though.

#14 User is offline   srandell 

• Pip

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Chris Breen said:

bdmarsh said
There are many things to try with a Safari that keeps locking up. First you can verify if it is specific to the one user account by creating a new user if there isn't already one. If it does happen for the new user as well, then it is something system-wide check: Internet Plugins Input Managers (pretty much not used any more, but a good thing to check) If it only happens for the one user then: Check for Toolbars Do a "Reset Safari" Preference file Caches re-installing will most likely not actually do anything since it is likely a file not directly part of Safari. Only in really extreme cases should you ever have to do a Mac OS X Re-install (Based on 17-18 years of Mac tech experience, I'm still under about 15 times I've ever had to do an OS re-install when there wasn't a hard drive failure) One more thing to check before doing an OS re-install, is to check in Console.app - system.log or kernel.log depending on OS version, and search for "I/O error" if these are showing up, it is most likely hard drive failure causing issues. Tried it all and no joy. Good suggestions, though.

Chris try this as I suggested and let me know what happens

I had a similar problem with my son's Mac. I ran all of the usual utilities, and they did not fix the problem. What I did was install a copy of the operating system on a freshly formatted external drive, booted from that and everything worked. From there you have to wipe the internal drive and install everything (starting with the operating system) from scratch. At lot of time but I believe that will fix the problem. I believe if you can get things to work from an external drive than this procedure should work.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users