Macworld Forums: Printer Drivers - Macworld Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Printer Drivers Mt. Lion & an old printer

#1 User is offline   vjspin3 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'm wanting to upgrade to Mt. Lion. BUT, I just got my color laser printer—Konica Minolta magicolor 2430 DL (about 6 years old?)—working on Lion, and I don't want to lose that capability if I upgrade to Mt. Lion. Is there any way or anywhere I can check to see if that will be a dealbreaker?

#2 User is offline   Martian 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

Load Mt Lion onto an external drive or even a thumb drive (need 16GB), then boot from that drive and try to print.

#3 User is offline   vjspin3 

• Group: Macworld Insiders

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:53 PM

Hadn't thought of that one in awhile. Used to be go-to method, but when you don't need to come up with workarounds for a long time, you get rusty. I will try it out.

#4 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:06 PM

View Postvjspin3, on 01 August 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Hadn't thought of that one in awhile. Used to be go-to method, but when you don't need to come up with workarounds for a long time, you get rusty. I will try it out.

http://www.konicamin...ntain-lion.html

According to the above page, the Lion print driver will work with Mountain Lion (it is almost at the bottom of the page).

So, in theory, it should work.

As noted, you could install Mountain Lion on an external drive to test it. The other option is to clone your current setup to an external drive using SuperDuper (or some other cloning program) and then upgrade the computer to Mountain Lion. If the printer does not work, then revert to the cloned image (technically you will need to wipe the drive and do a clean install of Lion and THEN clone the drive back...otherwise you will have the Mountain Lion recovery partition rather than the Lion recovery partition...I believe). I did this when Mountain Lion came out with my Air as I was not sure if the Konica BizHub printer at work would work with Mountain Lion...it did not, so I reverted to the clone until they released a new driver for Mountain Lion.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users