• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

OSX 10.6 + OSX 10.7 + WIN XP?

#1 User is offline   flick 

• Pip
  • Group: New Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:02 AM

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered before but i couldn't find when searching for this particular issue.

I am running 10.6 on my macbook pro and purchased a while ago 10.7 and also have a purchased copy of Windows XP

I am using a software which requires me to use Windows XP which i want to use with Boot Camp, my only problem is that i need to use the Boot Camp version on OSX 10.6 that supports Windows XP and not from later OSX versions.

I would like to reinstall the entire system and install in order which will allow me to have working copies of 10.6 for boot amp installation + a working copy of 10.7 (later to be upgraded to 10.9) ans a working copy of Windows XP.

My plan for re-installation:
(250MB DRIVE)
Clean install OSX 10.6
-> Partition: "Macintosh HD" Leave 50GB for OSX 10.6 > "Macintosh HD 2" 150GB for OSX 10.7 >"Windows HD" 50 GB for Windows XP
Clean install OSX 10.7
Going back to 10.6 > run Boot Camp and install Windows XP on "Windows HD"

It will be very important for me to upgrade "Macintosh HD 2" 150GB with OSX 10.7 later on to OSX 10.9 (verified that it will work on this machine) and I do not want to mess up the "Windows HD" with Windows XP...
Any suggestions or tips for such a setup? and how do i make sure OSX 10.7 will load by default?

Another side question, once boot camp is installed, will it be too late to change the sizes of the partitions for OSX 10.6 & 10.7?

Thank you for your help.

Jay

#2 User is offline   smax013 

• Veteran
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

View Postflick, on 02 August 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered before but i couldn't find when searching for this particular issue.

I am running 10.6 on my macbook pro and purchased a while ago 10.7 and also have a purchased copy of Windows XP

I am using a software which requires me to use Windows XP which i want to use with Boot Camp, my only problem is that i need to use the Boot Camp version on OSX 10.6 that supports Windows XP and not from later OSX versions.

I would like to reinstall the entire system and install in order which will allow me to have working copies of 10.6 for boot amp installation + a working copy of 10.7 (later to be upgraded to 10.9) ans a working copy of Windows XP.

My plan for re-installation:
(250MB DRIVE)
Clean install OSX 10.6
-> Partition: "Macintosh HD" Leave 50GB for OSX 10.6 > "Macintosh HD 2" 150GB for OSX 10.7 >"Windows HD" 50 GB for Windows XP
Clean install OSX 10.7
Going back to 10.6 > run Boot Camp and install Windows XP on "Windows HD"

It will be very important for me to upgrade "Macintosh HD 2" 150GB with OSX 10.7 later on to OSX 10.9 (verified that it will work on this machine) and I do not want to mess up the "Windows HD" with Windows XP...
Any suggestions or tips for such a setup? and how do i make sure OSX 10.7 will load by default?

Another side question, once boot camp is installed, will it be too late to change the sizes of the partitions for OSX 10.6 & 10.7?

Thank you for your help.

Jay

First, this thread might help some...but may not provide an exact answer as it is more for two bootable partitions and one data partition...not three bootable partitions.

https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

I think it is possible to get it setup (about maybe 60% sure you could do it). I can say that you will NOT being doing it by way of just a "normal" BootCamp setup. The "normal" BootCamp setup is designed such that you only get two partitions (technically three if you are running Lion or Mountain Lion since there will be the Recovery partition)...the Mac OS partition and the Bootcamp partition. Anything beyond that has to be "outside the box", so to speak.

The link above might provide some "hints" as you how you might be able to do it.

The one wrinkle might be when you update Lion to Mountain Lion to eventually Mavericks. I don't know if that will mess things up or not.

If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason why you want to use BootCamp and won't consider running Windows XP in a VM program like Parallels? THAT is definitely doable...and MUCH, MUCH easier. For the vast majority of uses, using Parallels (or VMWare Fusion) will work just as well as BootCamp...AND you will not need to reboot to get to it. I use Windows in a Parallels VM for a similar purpose...to run my Windows only structural engineering software. Unless you are doing a VERY graphically intensive program, Parallels (or Fusion) will not be that bad.

The other potentially option might be to install a second disk. This, of course, is HIGHLY dependent on what kind of Mac you are using. It is doable for "original flavor" MacBook Pros (if you don't mind losing the internal optical drive), but not for any other Mac laptop (it might be possible for the MacBooks...but definitely not the MacBook Air or Retina MacBook Pro). I believe it is doable for Minis and definitely for current style Mac Pros. Not sure about iMacs. Of course, you could use an external drive for desktop Macs (downside is it will be slower even with Firewire 800).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users